Capturing footage in final cut pro question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Capturing footage in final cut pro question?

In final cut pro can I capture my footage in one long take and then trim it into individual clip so I dont have to use my camera as a edit deck? Thanks Gary Williams
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Gary,

The answer is YES; I do it all the time because it's faster than capturing individual clips. Then, you simply grab what you need from the long capture. If you want to make the grabs independent, you can do that too, you just need to have available space on your drives.

To capture an entire tape, it's easiest to just open Log and Capture, starting the tape playing at the beginning and hit capture NOW. Alternately, you can log the whole tape (set your in/out points) and do a batch capture. Hope that helps.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vandas View Post
Hi Gary,

The answer is YES; I do it all the time because it's faster than capturing individual clips. Then, you simply grab what you need from the long capture. If you want to make the grabs independent, you can do that too, you just need to have available space on your drives.

To capture an entire tape, it's easiest to just open Log and Capture, starting the tape playing at the beginning and hit capture NOW. Alternately, you can log the whole tape (set your in/out points) and do a batch capture. Hope that helps.

Yes Tom it dose I will try it tonight thanks.
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

so how many gigs for a tape??
Vince Halushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Depends on the format.

DV and HDV average out to be about 14-15 GBs for an hour of tape.
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Major Player

I cannot get final cut pro to reconize my HD-100 what am I doing wrong in the presets in final cut pro the camera is set right and I am on VTR what am I doing wrong?
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:35 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
I cannot get final cut pro to reconize my HD-100 what am I doing wrong in the presets in final cut pro the camera is set right and I am on VTR what am I doing wrong?
Try setting capture in FCP's AV Settings (Device Control) to HDV Firewire Basic... that is the low-end default for capture.
Kelly OHara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly OHara View Post
Try setting capture in FCP's AV Settings (Device Control) to HDV Firewire Basic... that is the low-end default for capture.
Thanks works fine now.
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Gary, I am shooting with a Sony HVR-V1U and in HD I havent been able to get mine to capture one long clip. It will only capture each clip based on Record start and stop when I filmed. Even in capture now I cant do it. So if you get it to work in HD please post how. Thanks
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
Gary, I am shooting with a Sony HVR-V1U and in HD I havent been able to get mine to capture one long clip. It will only capture each clip based on Record start and stop when I filmed. Even in capture now I cant do it. So if you get it to work in HD please post how. Thanks
Have you got it set to AIC?
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
There is a preset (I dont' know where it's located, and I think it's that what Dylan above refers to) in Final Cut Pro that it can automatically detect every shot, which can come in handy for some people...
If you want to capture in one lang take, you should turn that off...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
There is a preset (I dont' know where it's located, and I think it's that what Dylan above refers to) in Final Cut Pro that it can automatically detect every shot, which can come in handy for some people...
If you want to capture in one lang take, you should turn that off...
That's in the capture window and called "create new clip on start/stop" or something like that.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM   #13
Major Player

DV start stop detect is in the mark menu. This is a cool feature if (and only if) you're working in DV.
So having captured your long clips you can click them into the viewer and go to the mark menu and click the DVstart/stop detect, and it will put markers in everywhere you started and stopped your camera while filming. In your browser the clip will now have a list of markers 1,2,3,4 etc which you can rename whatever you want to call the shots. You can then hilight and drag the markers into a bin which automatically makes the markers into subclips.

This is very cool and saves lots of time.

Last edited by Dom Stevenson; November 2nd, 2007 at 03:19 AM.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite