DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio in an iMac?

Audio is a major part of the video that I do, and I try for the best quality. I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac, and am considering getting an iMac until the Mac Pro line is updated. Does anyone know whether the new iMacs have separate sound cards, or are they integrated? If separate, what is it? Apple does not provide any sound card information on its site, either as an option or as to what's installed. (At least I didn't see it...). Thanks for any info.
Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Everything on the iMac is built-in (except for memory, that can be user-upgraded.) From their website:
Audio
Built-in stereo speakers
Internal 24-watt digital amplifier
Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)
Audio line in/optical digital audio input (minijack)
Built-in microphone

It has a regular stereo out jack, that can also output optical digital audio via mini-Toslink cable.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If you don't want to use the iMac audio, use a firewire audio interface/control unit. I have a Tascam FireOne that has a clean signal for input or output. It also has a good headphone amp for monitoring. However, if you are looking for a serious control surface, a FireOne lacks motorized faders and many other features. So it is limited to basic input-output but does it well. The shuttle wheel is great, too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite