DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 10th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

importing .mov files into final cut

I am having to render .mov files and Final Cut Pro Movie Files if i try and open them in a new sequence. is there anyway around this?
thanks
Ray Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Major Player

No clue where to even start with that.

For some unidentified reason FCP won't allow you to embed one timeline into another? It's perfectly acceptable to just drag one timeline into another, just like any clip. If that doesn't work, something is either very wrong with your version of FCP, or you have such different settings on the timelines that FCP can't handle it (and I'm not sure if that's even possible-- I think it adjusts any clip to fit, so it would adjust any embedded timeline as well).
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Coy View Post
I am having to render .mov files and Final Cut Pro Movie Files if i try and open them in a new sequence. is there anyway around this?
thanks
If the sequence properties don't match the properties of the video you are trying to place in it, a render is usually required.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Sure, you'll have to render the footage in the sequence, but it doesn't require an external .mov file.
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
Sure, you'll have to render the footage in the sequence, but it doesn't require an external .mov file.
It read to me like he was taking already created MOV or FCP reference movie files and dropping them into another sequence. I still believe it has to do with a settings mis-match. But maybe I'm not getting what he's trying to do exactly.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi, thanks for the responses. To clarify;
i have converted some .mod files (from a jvc (i think) hard disk camcorder) into .mov files. I have tried changing sequence settings but it still requires rendering. are there any settings in particular i should be trying? thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ray Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Oh, it seemed you were going from one sequence to another.

Generally, imported .movs will need rendering. To get around this, though, it's quite simple, if finicky. Just use the exact settings of your sequence when saving/exporting the .movs, and you should not have to render. This will need to match the video and audio settings.
However, it must match EXACTLY, so the "just" in my above sentence is a bit "just". FCP is finicky, as I said, so it might not work, and the only real way is to use trial and error, there, based on what you see as the settings.
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Coy View Post
Hi, thanks for the responses. To clarify;
i have converted some .mod files (from a jvc (i think) hard disk camcorder) into .mov files. I have tried changing sequence settings but it still requires rendering. are there any settings in particular i should be trying? thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Well, .mov is just a wrapper with a countless array of possible variables in terms of frame size, frame rate, video and audio codec options, etc. I would recommend first that you check to see if the .mov files you are creating actually conform to the sequence presets you are using in FCP (ie: DV/DVCPRO-NTSC 48 Khz or whatever you are using for FCP.) It sounds like there is probably a mismatch between the FCP sequence settings and the codec options for the .mov files.

-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite