DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 12th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

FCP 4 and HD10

Well, I'm editing a TV show out here in So Cal, and my buddy just got his FCP 4 upgrade. For now, officially, it won't support mpeg 2-TS. I went through all the manuals looking and saw nothing but exporting to mpeg 2 for DVD stuff.

So, unless I missed something, Apple may include it in 4.0.1 or something.

Then again, they may wait to see what happens with other cameras, and how well the HD1 and HD10 sell. The money spent to either license or develop the mpeg2-TS isn't cheap, I'm sure.

heath

ps-I'll contact my buddies at apple's pro video division and see what they say.
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #2
HDV Cinema

Re: FCP 4 and HD10

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Well, I'm editing a TV show out here in So Cal, and my buddy just got his FCP 4 upgrade. For now, officially, it won't support mpeg 2-TS. -->>>

Good report.

However, it's not FCP that may need to change, because several of us are using FCP 3 right now.

Everyone needs to remember that besides working with MPEG2 one is also editing HD!

Ask around to see how many folks are editing HD with FCP with no extra hardware -- using HDCAM or DVCPRO100 codecs.
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Re: Re: FCP 4 and HD10

that may be tough, I don't know many people using HD...Maybe this one company in Tampa, florida that shot and edited my TV station's anchor clips in hi-def. Electric Octopus or something..

heath

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Mullen : <<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Well, I'm editing a TV show out here in So Cal, and my buddy just got his FCP 4 upgrade. For now, officially, it won't support mpeg 2-TS. -->>>

Good report.

However, it's not FCP that may need to change, because several of us are using FCP 3 right now.

Everyone needs to remember that besides working with MPEG2 one is also editing HD!

Ask around to see how many folks are editing HD with FCP with no extra hardware -- using HDCAM or DVCPRO100 codecs. -->>>
Old June 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #4
Major Player

I read on another post that there is a utility now available for free with Apple's Firewire 16 SDK that supports direct input into the Mac of MPEG2 TS specifically from this camera, and from other DVHS decks and devices. You can download it from the developer section of Apple's website.
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I'm at the site now, and can't find the download. Can you put up a direct link?

heath

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : I read on another post that there is a utility now available for free with Apple's Firewire 16 SDK that supports direct input into the Mac of MPEG2 TS specifically from this camera, and from other DVHS decks and devices. You can download it from the developer section of Apple's website. -->>>
Old June 13th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #6
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : I read on another post that there is a utility now available for free with Apple's Firewire 16 SDK that supports direct input into the Mac of MPEG2 TS specifically from this camera, and from other DVHS decks and devices. You can download it from the developer section of Apple's website. -->>>

I haven't been free to say anything about this. But yes, Apple has/will offer this function.

I do know it will be used in a coming product in about 30-days.

I do not know if this is a plug-in to QT or FCP -- or a stand-alone utility. It might only be a routine that must be used in a product.

In any case -- this functionality means there will be a Mac NLE solution using FCP 3/4.
Old June 13th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

Excellent, then I'll probably be buying this camera next week, if the demo goes well.

heath

ps-Already there are some issues with FCP 4 and AJA Kona--their drivers for the card in FCP 4 are first-edition BETA. My buddy's Mac couldn't find his Kona card in FCP 3 (he just put this system together), but upon installation of 4, it was found. So, aside from the first-ed. beta drivers for FCP 4 from AJA, things are okay.

<<<-- I haven't been free to say anything about this. But yes, Apple has/will offer this function.

I do know it will be used in a coming product in about 30-days.

I do not know if this is a plug-in to QT or FCP -- or a stand-alone utility. It might only be a routine that must be used in a product.

In any case -- this functionality means there will be a Mac NLE solution using FCP 3/4. -->>>
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite