DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   DVD Studio Pro Woes- every 5th frame repeats... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/108447-dvd-studio-pro-woes-every-5th-frame-repeats.html)

Larry Huntington November 20th, 2007 06:40 PM

DVD Studio Pro Woes- every 5th frame repeats...

I am at my wits end on trying to figure out a frame issue when I import a 23.98 movie to DVDSP. When I frame advance in DVDSP and on a burned DVD, I am seeing every 5th frame repeat, or freeze if you will. I do not see this repeating frame issue in the quicktime movie itself.
I have tried encoding in Compressor as well as DVDSP with the same results. I am getting ready to show my video in January at a film festival and I would like to get this resolved quickly. Any tips or answers would be greatly appreciated. I am running Final Cut Studio 2 (latest version) on an Intel Quad 3gz mac.

Larry

Mike Teutsch November 20th, 2007 06:43 PM

I'm no expert, but it sounds like improper pulldown. Or should I say that you need to remove the pulldown.

Mike

Mike Teutsch November 20th, 2007 06:49 PM

Larry,

Check this link and see if it helps.

OK, that is not going to link. Go to Lynda.com and look at:

https://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=487

The first one which explains a lot and it is free.

Mike

Larry Huntington November 20th, 2007 07:24 PM

Thanks Mike,
I'll check out that link. I have become really confused about pull down and my footage so hopefully I will gain some inside with that link. BTW I am shooting 24f with a canon xh-a1.

Mike Teutsch November 20th, 2007 07:32 PM

Larry,

I too was really confused about pull down, but this helped me out. Don't know if you are a member, but the site is really good.

mike

Larry Huntington November 20th, 2007 09:42 PM

Mike,
I just watched the first video and it helped, but I guess I will need to pay the 25 bucks to join for a month to watch the rest of the videos. Do you feel I will find the answer to my issue with these movies? I am prepared to pay for one month if so. Thanks, Larry

Larry Huntington November 20th, 2007 09:51 PM

Just a side note: I thought that if I shoot 23.98 footage (canon XH-A1) and edit on a 23.98 timeline, there will be no pulldown to remove....right? When I author to the dvd is when I need the pulldown to occur, but I don't know how to do it, unless DVDSP does it automatically. I know. I know...watch the movies : )

Mike Teutsch November 20th, 2007 11:44 PM

Larry,

I don't know if it will help you or not. Just figured that that was your problem-----pull down. I don't know what you will use to do the pull down. Maybe you should wait for someone to give you better advice on how to do the pull down. Especially if you don't have After Effects, as that is the system they are talking about.

The $25.00 for a month on Lynda.com will probably be very worth it though!!!!

Mike

Mike Teutsch November 20th, 2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Huntington (Post 779094)
Just a side note: I thought that if I shoot 23.98 footage (canon XH-A1) and edit on a 23.98 timeline, there will be no pulldown to remove....right? When I author to the dvd is when I need the pulldown to occur, but I don't know how to do it, unless DVDSP does it automatically. I know. I know...watch the movies : )

Problem is that there is no 23.98 of the Canon cameras, it is 24f and converted to 60i for tape.

Mike

Larry Huntington November 21st, 2007 01:27 PM

Now I'm really confused. I thought the Canon A1 shot 23.98. Do you know the best thread that describes the exact Final Cut Pro settings I need to deliver a 24f to dvd? I have been working all this time in a 23.98 timeline, not 24.
Thanks, Larry

Mike Teutsch November 21st, 2007 02:21 PM

Larry,

Maybe I should not have said it shoots 24f period, because I'm not sure how it is laid down on the tape. Well I checked and it is laid down as 60i on tape. What I was saying, is that your issue sounds just like footage with the wrong pull down.

I found some where here on this forum:

Shoot with 2:3 pull down and the signal will be converted to 60i fps, for TV viewing and edit in 29.97

Shoot 2:3:3:2 pull down and the signal is converted to 60i for film transfer, edit in 23.98

Check to see what your camera is set to 2:3 or 2:3:3:2

Book says SD uses 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pull down. HD uses 2:3. Both are recorded to 60i on the tape.

Also, some of you other guys or gals jump in here to help this guy, this is definitively not my best area. :)

Mike

Mike Teutsch November 21st, 2007 03:03 PM

Larry,

Well, I tried, but not sure I helped much. Your A1 is different from my H1. If you shoot is SD you have a choice of pull down, 2:3 or 2:3:3:2, just like me and it goes to tape at 60i.

If you shoot HD 24f, yours goes to tape as 24f and plays back at 60i.

Did you shoot SD or HD?

Either way, I'm not sure how you output it and I don't know what you should edit it in.

See page 40 and 41 of your manual.

Please guys!

At least I have learned a bunch!

Mike

Dylan Couper November 21st, 2007 10:17 PM

You might have more luck getting the answer you need in this forum.
Cheers!

Larry Huntington November 22nd, 2007 02:51 AM

I just posted a long message and the server timed out : ( Heres goes again...

Anyhoo, thanks Mike for the info. I flipped through page 40 in the manual and I understand the pulldown the camera is doing (in SD mode). Looks like a 2:3 pulldown is required when I edit on a 23.98 1080p timeline. Now that I know this, what is the best way to remove the pulldown this if you don't have after effects? Do I remove the pulldown after I make a self-contained quicktime?

I really need to "unlearn what I have learned" and go to a pulldown bootcamp or the like- to fully understand what I need to do when I record 24f HD to end up on SD DVD. If anyone else out there wants to throw a cold glass of info in my face to wake me up to this topic, feel free!

Larry

Larry Huntington November 22nd, 2007 04:00 AM

Ok,
After a lot of google searching, I think I have found what is going on regarding the repeated 5th frame on my dvd and I feel this article is worth reading (even though it is over 3 years old). It's especially good for mac users who are working with 24 frames on a timeline and outputting to dvd via dvdsp. Check it out!

http://dvcreators.net/discuss/showthread.php?t=6760

Right now I am using compressor to test out the Bob's suggestions and I will post my results after the holiday.

Larry