DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Batch capturing clips with not enough pre-roll

Hello,
I have to batch digitize some clips from a project that I deleted media from. The problem is that when I originally digitized it, I did not give it enough pre-roll and now...it's not finding timecode in the beginning of the tape. It's a DV project and the clips starts at 00:00:00:27 or something like that...so it's 27 frames in.

Any ideas on how to batch capture it back?

Robert
Robert Dombaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I had this same issue last week. Any advice on the problem would be much appreciated!
Dave Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Dude, that's less than a second!

transfer to another tape, pause long enough to give you the required pre roll then play, but there's no guarantee there won't be glitches and drop outs.

Of course this will mess up your time codes for batch capture, but then it will only affect the first shot on the tape.

...wont it.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dombaj View Post
Hello,
I have to batch digitize some clips from a project that I deleted media from. The problem is that when I originally digitized it, I did not give it enough pre-roll and now...it's not finding timecode in the beginning of the tape. It's a DV project and the clips starts at 00:00:00:27 or something like that...so it's 27 frames in.

Any ideas on how to batch capture it back?

Robert
You might try the 'capture now' instead of the log and capture process, and hopefully that might let you get those first few frames.

Otherwise, since you're on a Mac, you might try to just capture in iMovie and then export it out to the format you need. I think iMovie will allow you to get those first few frames.

Good luck.

-J.
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Major Player

I think he's in deeper s*** than that, as he wants to batch capture, he needs the timecode references and if he does "capture now" or captures with iMovie then the timecode will be lost.

Therefore he has to manually re-insert the first shot and batch capture the rest.

Last edited by Dylan Pank; November 22nd, 2007 at 08:00 AM.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Pank View Post
I thoink he's in deeper s*** than that, as he wants to batch capture, he needs the timecode references and if he does "capture now" or captures with iMovie then the timecode will be lost.

Therefore he has to manually re-insert the first shot and batch capture the rest.
That's right...
my clips are pretty long (10-30 minutes). The minimum preroll that FCP allows is 1 sec. But I'm below that. So as far as I know, I'm screwed. I've been trying to get around this by loading the off-line clip into the player window, making a subclip and batch digging the subclip. But the captured subclip will not reconnect to the clip on the timeline. So I'm manually syncing it...thankfully I still have a intact track of back-up audio.

Note to self...ALWAYS leave at least 10 seconds of pre-roll on tapes.

Rob
Robert Dombaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Major Player

A note to everybody I think!
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite