Flashing green frames... what the heck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Flashing green frames... what the heck?

So FSC2 is giving me beef. I render out my timeline and one particular clip is flashing random green-tinged frames along with the normal frames. I have no idea why, and it's the only track of video in that particular section of the timeline. It's happened to me once before on a different clip, though it went away and I was never able to determine why.

This is on a MacBook Pro 2.4 machine, OSX 10.4.11. The codec outgoing is NTSC 48khz DV, same as captured.

Anyone else had this issue before and figured it out?
Dave Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you tried trashing the preferences?

If that doesn't work try deleting the render files and re-rendering everything.

Has that particular section got any special filters on it? Have you applied any motion effects to it?

Is it like that on the original (i.e. if you play the clip directly in Quicktime)? If so, then does it happen when you play it back using the original tape on the camera?

I hope this is of some help...

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #3
Major Player

I had the same thing! After hours of cursing, rendering and re-rendering... I threw caution to the wind and just exported it using compressor in hopes that it was just a glitch in playback.

The DVD looked fine... no funny green flashes.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just an update on this issue. I tried many different export/QT conversion options from the sequence and all the renders still had the flashing green frames like with playback from the timeline. One thing I found that did get rid of the issue was changing the Video Processing settings for the sequence from "Render all YUV material in high-precision YUV" to "Render in 8-bit YUV". I had a feeling it was some kind of rendering issue. Anyway, this was the only thing that would fix the problem - though I would have been happier leaving it with floating-point precision since there were many post effects and whatnot.

If anyone else had found a way around this, please let me know. :)
Dave Christensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite