DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Capture Utility Beside FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/108974-capture-utility-beside-fcp.html)

Dana Salsbury November 27th, 2007 07:04 PM

Capture Utility Beside FCP

I have two Macs, a Quad for editing and a MBP for capturing. I have FCS2, but cannot have it on both computers unless the airport is off, which is unworkable. Is there another utility for capturing FCP HDV clips?

Robert Lane November 27th, 2007 08:40 PM

You might be able to use Quicktime Pro; iMovie can capture HDV but I don't know if you can transfer those files into FCP. My guess is not, but others on this forum have discussed it; try searching for the info here.

Kelly OHara November 27th, 2007 11:00 PM

iMovie is quite functional for capture software... it captures in the Apple Intermediary Codec in the appropriate resolution and will break the clips after every stop in recording.

Also they are fully compatible with FC, just set your project to work in the appropriate AIC codec and you're good to go.

Dana Salsbury November 28th, 2007 12:47 AM

I hadn't considered those. Thanks! iMovie looks promising. Time to play...

All the best!

Dana Salsbury December 2nd, 2007 12:32 PM

I was excited that iMovie was capturing, but now I have a big problem. I captured five HDV miniDVs and it created one massive file (over 100g). I have to drag each clip to another folder, and that takes forever. Is there any way around this?

Cole McDonald December 2nd, 2007 12:57 PM

control click on the 100Gb File, and select the option "show package contents" in the resulting popup menu. The "huge file" is actually a folder with a bunch of stuff in it. Including the actual clips you've captured. You can drag them out of there (Either copy them so they still reside there if you need them later again, or move them if you don't...knowing they'll disappear from the iMovie project once you've done so).

Dana Salsbury December 2nd, 2007 01:41 PM

Thanks bro, that was the fix.

Dana Salsbury December 2nd, 2007 01:49 PM

Question though...these clips are a lot larger than clips I capture in FCP, and I don't have much say in the specs. I'm capturing HDV from an FX1 and burning to standard DVDs. I imagine this is a compression issue. FCP gives me a prompt asking if I want to modify the clips for the timeline, which I don't normally have to do. Thoughts?

Cole McDonald December 2nd, 2007 02:27 PM

You have no say in the specs in iMovie...in fact the old version had audio incompatabilities with FCP that made it so you had to render every single clip you put in the timeline every time you made a change. :( Ask me about my 47 hours of logged footage for my feature sometime...ick. I ended up having to re-export everything to quicktime full quality which ballooned the size unhappily.

The best way though is to get used to using the log and capture workflow wihtin FCP (unless you're doing event shooting - in which case I use capture now). I've just switched to it and it makes me happy...turn on the audio preview in the capture settings (tabs on top right of capture window). Mark your in at action, mark your out at cut, hit log clip...repeat throughout the tape, then hit batch capture and they will all magically pull in. This saves Hard drive space as well as you can elect not to import specific takes if they got botched and had no value for the production.

Andrew Kimery December 2nd, 2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 785940)
Question though...these clips are a lot larger than clips I capture in FCP, and I don't have much say in the specs. I'm capturing HDV from an FX1 and burning to standard DVDs. I imagine this is a compression issue. FCP gives me a prompt asking if I want to modify the clips for the timeline, which I don't normally have to do. Thoughts?

iMovie only captures in AIC (which is bigger than native HDV) and capturing in AIC loses the TC from the tape, IIRC.

-A

Dana Salsbury December 2nd, 2007 05:35 PM

I would rather use FCP, but I can't afford to buy a second copy just to capture on a second computer. I have to be connected via Ethernet to make it work, and it won't let me have two versions open at once. (see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=108783).

Cole McDonald December 2nd, 2007 08:12 PM

I seem to recall folks using a sample app from apple's developer tools firewire SDK to pull in footage from some camera before the built-in support came to pass for it...DVHSCapture or something like that. You'll need to go to apple's developer's website and download the firewire SDK (free) from there to get it...but the app is free.

Dana Salsbury December 5th, 2007 01:27 PM

I downloaded and installed it. I got it to work after quite a bit of reading, but when I captured it came out as M2t (Vegas). Of course Final Cut will not accept M2t.

I've pretty much concluded that outside FCP, nothing will capture for FCP unless you want to add a conversion to your workflow. iMovie files are unworkable -- they are just too large.

My last hope is Quicktime Pro.

David W. Jones December 5th, 2007 05:47 PM

You might want to rethink your workflow.
Maybe incorporate something along the lines of a Firestore to shoot with to cut your capture time down to nothing.

Dana Salsbury December 5th, 2007 10:57 PM

I'd like to, but I live and Phoenix and they'd fry in the sun. I also film three camera weddings, so that's like $4,500. I wish it was workable.

My options are:
1. to capture at night while sleeping
2. to buy a second (perhaps older) FCP version for capturing only
3. to capture on my PC, converting each file from M2t (sell my second Mac)

How long does it take to convert from M2t with the mpeg download?