DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 1st, 2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP 6 - Preview over Firewire question

Can FCP 6 preview HDV video, downconverted to DV realtime over firewire to an external device so I can preview my HDV video from an HDV timeline on a SD monitor?

I read somewhere it was possible but couldn't find much info on Apple's site about it and was hoping someone could confirm it.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, FCP 6 will down-convert HDV into DV on-the-fly so you can preview on an external SD monitor via FW.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Major Player

it works a treat Nick but will only provide a letterboxed output, it won't do an anamorphic output (16:9 stretched to 4:3) so its great if you are viewing the downconvert on a 4:3 monitor but not so great if you only have a 16:9 monitor

i created my own easy setup for working with XDCAM HD with DV preview, but probably the easiest way to get this to work is, when ready to edit, simply re-choose the DV NTSC Easy Setup ... at that point you should see Apple Firewire DV as an external video option in the view menu

hope it helps
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Great. I have a wonderful broadcast monitor for SD that I'd like to use for color tweaking with my HDV. Should work great because its a 4:3 monitor

Thanks for the input
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite