DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sequence Settings for 1080p24

What are the appropriate sequence settings in FCP6 for footage shot on a Canon XH A1 at 1080p24 and captured as HDV 1080p24?
My sequence settings and easy setup are shown in the attached screen captures. Every time I export the sequence through QT conversion the result is a 4:3 ratio image, unless I enter a custom size like 1440x810 in the QT size menu. Unless i really was asleep during all of high school math class 1440x1080 is not a 16:9 (widescreen) ratio.
The image looks fine in the viewer and canvas incidentally, the aspect is what it should be.
Are my sequence settings the problem?
I'm confused.
As always your insight and knowledge are always appreciated.
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Sequence Settings for 1080p24-picture-1.png   Sequence Settings for 1080p24-picture-2.png  

Richard Siberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Your sequence settings are fine. That's why the viewer and canvas windows look correct.

The bit you slept through in high school was the class on pixel aspect ratio (or maybe that's not covered in high school maths). Pixel Aspect ratio for HDV is 1.333:1.

1.333*1440 = 1920 (or near as makes no difference.)

You can export the Quicktime movie as 1440 x 1080 and then adjust the aspect ratio of the finished film in Quicktime Pro under Movie Properties>Video Track>Visual Settings>Scaled Size to 1920 x 1080.

However if you export using Quicktime Movie rather than Quicktime Conversion using the HDV 1080i setting it should preserve the proper aspect ratio.

What codec are you exporting to BTW?
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I was trying to export as Uncompressed 10 Bit 4:2:2, prior to going to compressor, as per this post http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=hdv+sd-dvd.
I have sorted out my aspect issues but now this codec gives me a jumpy palyback in QT, I think I will try the same workflow but using Pro Res 4:2:2 HQ instead. All I am trying to do is get my HDV sequence into SD and onto a DVD so I can play it on a TV or another computer.
Thanks.
Rich.

Last edited by Richard Siberry; December 4th, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite