DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 9th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Dropping Frames

I shoot with an XL2 and import onto FCP, with the scratch disk being an eSATA Hard Drive. When I send it directly to the hard drive it drops a frame about every ten minutes and stops importing. If I go directly to the internal hard drive, it does not have this problem.

Can I set FCP to send the data to the Hard Drive and to ignore dropped frames? Also, will this affect the video quality significantly?
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Major Player

There is an option to ignore dropped frames while importing. Go to Final Cut Pro > User Preferences... In the General tab there is a check box that says "Abort capture on dropped frames." I'm not sure what this would do to the captures video though. I have never heard that capturing to an external drive would cause problems. You might want to check the speed of the drive, if it's too slow maybe it can't write the video fast enough.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Are you capturing footage? If that's what you mean by importing, then you don't want to allow dropped frames. Or your final edit will have missing frames and look jerky.
People used to have this problem because of a glitch with spotlight, you can search for that in this forum.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The hard drive is a LaCie 500BG one with eSATA but that's not the problem cause I had a WD FireWire 400 drive before that and it had the same issue. This has been like this in FCS 1&2 regardless of what camera (XL2 or Xi). I also believe it happened on my old iMac G5 as well.
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, that sounds like a Spotlight problem. Go download Spotless and disable Spotlight on your external drive.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite