What sound card are you using? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 10th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Major Player

What sound card are you using?

What, if any, sound card are people using in their Macs for importing or playing audio while editing?

Over on the audio forum, they suggest having a good pair of monitors while editing but the ones they reccommend have XLR jacks; obviously, they must use them with a adapter.

Also, for those of you who record audio separately from the video, how are you importing files in to FCP, with an adapter card or by connecting your recorder via firewire/

Thanks
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Bob,

I'd look at a FireWire audio interface. There are quite a few good ones to choose from. Over in the audio forum, you'll find a lot of comments about specific models.

First, think about how many input channels and how many output channels you need. Pretty much all interfaces have at least two of each. For stereo mixing, two outputs are fine. For 5.1 surround sound, obviously you'll need to have at least six. On the input side, the recording scenarios that you are going to be dealing with it determine the number of channels you need. Other factors are the size/weight, whether the unit is designed to be portable or not, whether it's rack-mountable, etc...

From own experience (read: pain), I would recommend you consider only devices that have balanced audio connections for ins and for outs.

You may want to look at something like the Tascam FW-1082 (or its larger brother), which is a mixer, a FireWire audio interface, and a control surface (with motorized faders) all in one box, for a very decent price considering what it does. The control surface is a huge plus for editing and mixing.

I have an Echo AudioFire 8, which I purchased based on recommendations from the audio forum, and it works very, very well.

- Martin
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Trustee

if you have NO video gear, use the sound out on the mac.

if you have FW camera, send a FW cable to the camera and use it to convert the DV FW signal to video and audio

if you have a PCI(e) video card like kona or decklink, use the cards audio outputs

if you have a FW converter box that takes DV in and sends video out ( and vice vers ) use the boxes audio out

you should normally use the video devices audio outputs so that you will see your audio in sync. using different sources may cause your audio to play out of sync due to processing delays which are different between the outputs.

please also note - the video displayed on the computer screen and whats coming out of your video device can and will be a frame or two or three off. thats why you should always listen to sound from the same place you are watching video from. if you have NO video output, then the built in sound out will be in sync with the computer screen.

personally I have two setups. One is a Kona LH and I use its outs for monitoring audio.

I also have a MAtrox MXO. with that I can use either its audio outs, or my MOTU 896HD's outs. the 896HD as really nice peice for audio IO. in fact I use the MOTU as a A-D converter and feed my betaSP audio in, and use its AES digital out to feed the Kona's AES in. there is delay in there, a few samples worth, which is not anything to worry about for 99.9% of most people's needs.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite