Question about editing HD 16X9 to HD 4.3 ratio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 11th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Question about editing HD 16X9 to HD 4.3 ratio?

I have had some people say that the HD 16x9 makes them look short and large is it possible to do my finished hd project in an HD 4.3 ratio and stay in HD so it fits the TV Screen and keeps the sharpness of image and make the people look more natural.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
I have had some people say that the HD 16x9 makes them look short and large is it possible to do my finished hd project in an HD 4.3 ratio and stay in HD so it fits the TV Screen and keeps the sharpness of image and make the people look more natural.
People will look "short and fat" when a 4x3 image is stretched out to fill a 16x9 frame. If you want to put a 4x3 image into a 16x9 frame you can either "pillar box" it (black bars on the sides w/the 4x3 image in the middle) or "blow up" the 4x3 image to fill the 16x9 frame (which will cut off the top and bottom of the image and most likely severe degrade the image quality).

HD, by definition, is 16x9 so there are no 4x3 HD formats.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kimery View Post
People will look "short and fat" when a 4x3 image is stretched out to fill a 16x9 frame. If you want to put a 4x3 image into a 16x9 frame you can either "pillar box" it (black bars on the sides w/the 4x3 image in the middle) or "blow up" the 4x3 image to fill the 16x9 frame (which will cut off the top and bottom of the image and most likely severe degrade the image quality).

HD, by definition, is 16x9 so there are no 4x3 HD formats.

-A
OK I have a Question for you then I shoot with the HD100 and when I play footage from the camera the HD footage fills the screen even though my screen is set to 16x9 but my finished projects from final cut studio have a black bar on the bottom at the top how do I get my finished projects to look like the footage that plays from my camera? Thanks Gary
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
OK I have a Question for you then I shoot with the HD100 and when I play footage from the camera the HD footage fills the screen even though my screen is set to 16x9 but my finished projects from final cut studio have a black bar on the bottom at the top how do I get my finished projects to look like the footage that plays from my camera? Thanks Gary
Is it a widescreen monitor/TV you have Gary...because they are naturally set to 16:9 hence the footage will fill the screen. If you then wanted the bars on the top/bottom you'd have edit your footage in a 'false' 2:35:1 ratio...I'm not in front of FCP now but I'm sure the viewer/canvas is 4:3 (in default?) hence your HD material will have bars on the top and bottom.

Last edited by David Scattergood; December 11th, 2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Is it a widescreen monitor/TV you have Gary...because they are naturally set to 16:9 hence the footage will fill the screen. If you then wanted the bars on the top/bottom you'd have edit your footage in a 'false' 2:35:1 ratio...I'm not in front of FCP now but I'm sure the viewer/canvas is 4:3 (in default?) hence your HD material will have bars on the top and bottom.
Maybe your right I do not have an HD player I have an HD tv I will go to fryes or something and play the video and see if it fill the screen.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite