DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1
New Boot

filters dont carry over to freeze frames

Hello I am running FCSP2 and I need some assistance. I am layering videos to show three different frames on the screen at one time. The i resized the first clip and it plays, then I want to freeze that frame and then start the second frame. This is my problem. I applied a color correction on the first box and when I make a freeze frame the color correction doesn't carry over to the freeze frame.

Does this make any sense? Can anyone tell me how to make freeze frames and have the filters carry over?

Thanks
Oscar Nam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Nam View Post
Hello I am running FCSP2 and I need some assistance. I am layering videos to show three different frames on the screen at one time. The i resized the first clip and it plays, then I want to freeze that frame and then start the second frame. This is my problem. I applied a color correction on the first box and when I make a freeze frame the color correction doesn't carry over to the freeze frame.

Does this make any sense? Can anyone tell me how to make freeze frames and have the filters carry over?
Can't swear this will work Oscar, but you might need to copy and paste the attributes of the clip (the cc filters) onto the freeze frame portion.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Yup, you have to copy and paste attributes. Freezing the frame always loses whatever filters have been applied to it. But the copy and paste works fine.
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #4
New Boot

I've already tried that. I have three different clips that i want to freeze frame at different points along the timeline. so if I have three different clips that I need to color correct and freez frame at different points along the timeline, the problem i run into is that when I freeze the second clip with the first freeze frame(already applied a filter to this one) and apply the filter. the first clip gets double color corrected.

Does this make any sense?

Is there a way to color correct my entire source footage and make that the normal clip so that i wouldnt have to apply a color correction filter to the freeze frame?

thanks
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Firstly, what's happening is you are doubling up your filters. You just have to take note of what needs copying

Secondly, you could color correct your mater clip in the Viewer if you want, but bear in mind that it will affect the entire raw clip. If that's what you want, go ahead and do that.

I copy and paste attributes all the time and it works well. Just do all your editing, freeze framing, etc first. Then go back to your first clip, apply the filters then copy and paste attributes to all the rest. Sometimes doing this as you go along can lead to "duplication of services"
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

There are two ways to make a freeze frame - freeze the current position in the sequence (which will capture the net result of all applied effects,) or match clip ("f" key) to the viewer and make a freeze frame (which will be the same as the unaffected source clip.)
I always use the latter method for the flexibility, insert it into the sequence, and then simply copy and paste attributes if necessary.

In your case you will also want to do this so that you can maintain your multi-layered structure.
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
There are two ways to make a freeze frame - freeze the current position in the sequence (which will capture the net result of all applied effects,) or match clip ("f" key) to the viewer and make a freeze frame (which will be the same as the unaffected source clip.)
I always use the latter method for the flexibility, insert it into the sequence, and then simply copy and paste attributes if necessary.

In your case you will also want to do this so that you can maintain your multi-layered structure.

I want to be able to do the first way you explain. I want to capture the net result of all applied effects. How do you do this?

The way I am doing it right now is shift+n

Is there another way to do this?
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
I want to be able to do the first way you explain. I want to capture the net result of all applied effects. How do you do this?

Nope. You are doing it correctly.

To get a freeze of all the effects applied just park the playhead in the sequence where you want to take a "snapshot" freeze frame and press Shift+N. A WYSIWYG freeze frame will appear in the viewer window (left side) as new footage. Now just insert or overwrite it into sequence.
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:

Export a still from the sequence in Quicktime Conversion (picts will work fine) and import it back into the project.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite