Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 16th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Opening .fcp from FCP 6 in FCP 5

Hey everyone,
I'm currently working on editing feature length film and it's traveling between me and someone else who is editing. The problem (for me at least) is that he has Final Cut Pro 6 and I'm still on 5. I do plan to upgrade eventually, but at the moment I don't really have a need for 6. Is there any way I can open the .fcp files created in FCP 6 with 5 using some sort of work-around or a converter of some sort? I don't really even need to be able to save them, I just want to view them so I can oversee what the editor is doing.

thanks for your help
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Have him export it as an XML file. Then import that into FCP 5. As long as you both have the same footage, you should be able to see the edits exactly as he made them.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Khalil View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm currently working on editing feature length film and it's traveling between me and someone else who is editing. The problem (for me at least) is that he has Final Cut Pro 6 and I'm still on 5. I do plan to upgrade eventually, but at the moment I don't really have a need for 6. Is there any way I can open the .fcp files created in FCP 6 with 5 using some sort of work-around or a converter of some sort? I don't really even need to be able to save them, I just want to view them so I can oversee what the editor is doing.

thanks for your help
So your feature isn't worth the upgrade to FCP 6 so you can oversee it?
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Ok, I'll have him try that - thanks for the tip. Will I be able to see the different layers/transparency settings if I use an XML file?

I mentioned it was a feature length film, and a low budget one so quite honestly, it isn't worth the upgrade for me because I'm the director of photography, not the main editor - he simply wanted my input on a couple of shots, etc.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite