DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   setting audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/11057-setting-audio.html)

Gary Chavez June 20th, 2003 10:23 AM

setting audio

Is there a way to set all the audio in one track at a constant level in the timeline?
My narrative is on track one. My talent records her audio in the field. Not much control. she will vary her distance from the mic between takes, creating un-even audio. what filter or setting would allow me to set the level from start to end? im doing it manually now, but its time consuming.
Thanks

Jeff Price June 20th, 2003 10:40 AM

Can you normalize the audio? That could at least eliminate the variation with different mic placement if it isn't too bad.

Gary Chavez June 20th, 2003 10:51 AM

i plead ignorance. what do you mean by "normalize?" at the point of recording? thats kinda outta my hands as the recording is done with my producer using a different crew. I have asked a couple of times but, you know, i get what i get.

Jeff Price June 20th, 2003 11:00 AM

Normalizing is done in post. When you normalize a sound file you increase the volume of the quiet parts and decrease the volume of the loud parts. I don't have a copy of FCP in front of me but would think that there would be a command so that you could select the sound clip and run the normalize command on it. Perhaps something in Peak?

I also wonder if it might be better to record in the field using auto rather than manual. Normally, you would think manual was better and the shooter would just tweak the settings to keep them close. Since they aren't then maybe auto will help keep the volume at a similar level.

Gary Chavez June 20th, 2003 12:29 PM

"normalizing" the audio is just what i want to do as you define it.
anyone out there who can idiot proof this for me?
again, thanks

Matt Stahley June 20th, 2003 02:00 PM

Import the audio into peak. Select DSP in menu bar - Normalize . This will scan for the highest peaks in the clip then normalize from there. Try the compressor settings in FCP as well.

Gary Chavez June 24th, 2003 12:56 PM

OK, well i now know what "Peak" is. i found the CD at the bottom of the FCP manuls box. the Mac guy here installed it for me. Now what? I dont see it anywhere in FPC3. Sorry to be asking such jackass questions but I'm lost.

what will peak do? Is it worth having installed? where is it, i mean besides in applications.

if these questions are to asine, ignore and i will pretend i never downloaded it.
thanks

Curtis T. Stoeber June 24th, 2003 06:56 PM

Peak is a standalone application and does not integrate with FCP in any way. You must import the files back and forth. I have never been too fond of Peak and I do not use it. But it can normilize the audio track for you and you can re-import it back to FCP.

Gary Chavez June 25th, 2003 06:27 AM

thanks, yeah...just a disc, no written info packet was delivered with it. will delete as i gots enuff to learn these days.