Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP 6 - Out of sync footage, works on export

FCP 6.0
G5 MAC OSX 10.4.11

Working on files from both miniDV and P2 files from an HVX-200 on a DVCPRO50 HD timeline. All clips work fine except for two of the clips. They work fine on the Viewer, but when I drag them to the timeline they go out of sync. I've tried fixing sound on timeline, but when I export it "fixed" it exports out of sync. When I export "out of sync" it comes out "synced". Breaking my head over it. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Marco Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Major Player

do you have to render it when you drop it into the timeline?
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brill View Post
do you have to render it when you drop it into the timeline?
I don't...all the specs match the other working clips. Never turns red, even when I go to export.
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I was gonna say something about drop frame/non-drop frame but if it doesn't need to render then i dunno.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know how you are set up but if you had a deck/camera hooked up and you were watching it on a monitor, the sound is meant to match the monitor and it will be out of sync with the computer/fcp. So it depends on what you speakers/headphones are hooked up to.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
I don't know how you are set up but if you had a deck/camera hooked up and you were watching it on a monitor, the sound is meant to match the monitor and it will be out of sync with the computer/fcp. So it depends on what you speakers/headphones are hooked up to.

Just have speakers connected to computer. No other monitors, decks, or camera. I'm looking at everything on one monitor.
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Note that if the clips were captured over firewire, there is a high probability that there will be an audio sync issue if the clip length is over 30 minutes.

For our feature, we captured 33 hour long tapes with 21 being out of sync beyond the 30 minute mark. Our solve was to use our DVD dallies and export the audio files to re-sync to the de-interlaced source.

Otherwise try playing the clip entirely in QuickTime and double check that it is in sync the entire way through.

If it is in sync, than the problem is with your timeline settings. The sure fire way to eliminate sync issues is to ensure all your video is playing back at the same frame-rate - something that is difficult if you shoot in 24P native mode and shoot 24p over 60i on DV tape. You would definitely have to de-interlace your DV footage to match your HVX 24p Native footage.

This nightmare just happened to me and I know how frustrating it can be. Just verify your settings, de-interlace and if need be, re-sync all your audio from another source.

Hope this helps,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
something that is difficult if you shoot in 24P native mode and shoot 24p over 60i on DV tape. You would definitely have to de-interlace your DV footage to match your HVX 24p Native footage.

This nightmare just happened to me and I know how frustrating it can be. Just verify your settings, de-interlace and if need be, re-sync all your audio from another source.

-C

How do I deinterlace the clip?

Re-sync from another source? Not sure about this one...

Thanks!
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #9
New Boot

Forgot to ask, do I have to de-interlace one or the other or does it HAVE to be the DV footage? And again how do go about doing that? Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #10
New Boot

I just encountered an out of sync clip. It seems the original clip is out of sync, not just when it's inserted in the time line. I discovered it when I marked in and out points for about a minute of footage about 19 minutes into the clip and inserted the one minutes worth into the timeline. Here is how I "fixed" it [using Final Cut Pro 3 on a Mac G5]:

The one minute piece of footage was all that was in the timeline (create a new sequence if you have to to have an isolated place to work.)

I superimposed the same one minutes' worth of footage over the original, which gave me two video tracks and two audio (four, really) tracks - identical.

Then I deleted the top video track (the one just superimposed) and the original audio track (this separates the audio from the video).

Then, I shifted the audio forward and tested a couple of times until the words and mouths were synced. It showed a shift of +6 in the audio track. This was a quick process for me, didn't take too long, or require too much tinkering.

When I edited the one minutes' worth of footage, I just made sure that cuts were made to both the audio and video tracks and then Ripple Deleted to keep it synced to the end.
Kay Borden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite