DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   boot camp and parallels together (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/110918-boot-camp-parallels-together.html)

Josh Bass December 25th, 2007 02:45 AM

boot camp and parallels together

I just got a spanking new Imac after being informed that my PC's motherboard was slowly failing. I love Vegas, and may still want to run some other PC based Aps (word/excel, etc.). I downloaded Parallels, and realize that to run Vegas on this machine, I should use bootcamp. So I'm thinking I can use bootcamp for more intensive aps (Vegas), and parallels for word and lesser stuff. I'm not really worried about gaming.

Before I go and partition the hard drive and reinstall OSX, I'd like to know if anyone runs both parallels and boot camp on their machine, and if my above idea is a good one. I've read that parallels won't recognize the Windows partition of your drive, so you basically have to install all windows aps twice? Once in bootcamp, and again on the virtual machine. Any issues? problems? Thanks.

Chris Harris December 25th, 2007 03:05 AM

I don't use Boot Camp, but I use Parallels 3, and there's an option to run Windows from a Boot Camp partition, which would eliminate the need to install your programs twice.

Josh Bass December 25th, 2007 03:18 AM

Ok, so that means you partition the drive, install your windows aps on the PC partition, and then you can run that stuff either via bootcamp or parallels? But parallels is still far less efficient than BC even if you use this option, right?

Simon Wyndham December 25th, 2007 05:38 AM

I'm running Parallels and Boot Camp so that I can still use Vegas when needed.

Parallels is much slower (because it can only use one core of the processor). But for small things it is still useful. I have edited using Vegas with it, although it is better to use Boot Camp for that.

You need to install Windows on a Boot Camp partition first (making sure that you have either XP SP 2 or Vista). Once all the Apple drivers have been installed and Windows is activated, you can then install Parallels in OS X and tell it to use your Boot Camp partition.

When you run Windows in Parallels for the first time it will ask you to activate Windows again. Do not do this until you have installed Parallels Tools. Afterwards you can then activate Windows again (you may have to phone Microsoft for a new key, but it isn't a problem).

You should then be able to boot into Boot Camp or Parallels without any issues.

I tend to use Parallels as much as I can because I hate having to leave OS X. Its pretty cool being able to have OS X on one monitor and XP on the other!

Something else to consider is that you will need a seperate NTFS partition or HDD for storing video on for editing in Windows. You could use FAT32, but this is limiting for video because of the file size limitations.

With NTFS you can copy from the Windows drive to OS X, but not vice versa. With FAT32 you can move and copy files in both directions.

Quote:

Before I go and partition the hard drive and reinstall OSX
Why do you need to reinstall OS X?

Josh Bass December 25th, 2007 06:13 AM

Okay, thanks.

Reinstalling OSX--well, if I partition the drive, don't I have to erase it first? And then reinstall OSX after partitioning? You can't partition a drive that already has anything on it, right?

As for Fat32 v NTFS, I thought parallels had some special thing that allowed you to share files between the VM and OSX. I was going to give myself about 60GB for the PC partition (my current PC has a 30GB drive, so I figure 60 is plenty), and when I'm actually doing editing in VEgas, just have a separate external drive for that media, that is only NTFS formatted.

Andy Mees December 25th, 2007 07:00 AM

with BootCamp Assistant you can create a partition for Windows on the existing startup drive without needing to wipe or reinstall anything

cool huh

Josh Bass December 25th, 2007 07:07 AM

So cool I would make a dirty joke if this wasn't DVinfo and I didn't know it'd get erased, followed by an admonishing email from Hurd.

When I format the windows partition, do I do it as "free space"?

Simon Wyndham December 25th, 2007 12:19 PM

The Boot Camp installation takes care of everything. Don't partition yourself. Let Boot Camp do the work.

Something a lot of Windows users have to get used to is that partitioning in OS X is really easy and doesn't involve anything painful like it does in Windows.

Josh Bass December 25th, 2007 01:35 PM

Thanks for the tip!

So, do I HAVE to install XP or Vista? I never actually bought XP. I had an old machine I bought an XP Pro upgrade for, and my newer computer (the dying one) had it installed already, but they didn't sent Windows CDs.

So basically I have a Win 98 CD, and an XP Pro upgrade. Will this do?

Simon Wyndham December 25th, 2007 02:34 PM

You'll need an original full CD.

Josh Bass December 25th, 2007 04:39 PM

Oh, make no mistake son, I'm getting FCP, but just to keep the option open, I want to be able to run Vegas too. For instance, I have a project that's essentially done, but I'm going to screen it and then cut it down according to the response. It's a Vegas project, so I still need that program. It would be amazing if they would one day make Vegas for Mac.

Guess it's off to ebay to search for Windows XP.

Josh Bass December 25th, 2007 04:58 PM

well, this computer had been pretty well behaved until I learned of the failing motherboard (the failing integrated video card being the first sign). It was a Dell, and they have a good rep, but my girlfriend got a lemon, and her brother had one with problems too, and I been wanting to try a Mac as my next machine. I just didn't think it would be this soon (bought the PC mid 2005). I figure if, down the line, I don't end up liking it, I can probably get a PC twice as powerful as my current one for like $500.

Joseph Hutson December 25th, 2007 05:06 PM

PC's are getting cheaper, but that is just to try to keep up with Apple.

I hear the life expectancy of a PC is 2-4 years...a Mac...5-7 years.

Maybe the Macs are twice the price, but did you ever think of how long your PC would hold out.

Also, if you have to use Windows, Vista runs faster on an Apple Laptop, than a PC notebook. http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Pete Bauer December 25th, 2007 06:59 PM

Josh,
Since you're in Houston, I think your best bet for getting a full WinXP is to stop in at Fry's electronics tomorrow (two locations in the area). You can get the full OEM software for about the retail cost of the upgrade version. It'll be posted up on the wall next next to motherboards.

For those who chomp at the bit to diss PC or diss Mac -- not here on DVinfo.net. Two "platform war" type posts removed.

Also, Joseph, if you have a reference that folks can read for themselves and decide whether it is useful or not, great, post the link. But otherwise, the life expectancy comment borders on the same category: platform war / FUD. Without a credible source article, those kind of comments must be assumed to be among the bulk of the internet: FUD or worse...and in any case wasn't on topic.

Josh Bass December 25th, 2007 07:38 PM

Didn't mean to start a flame war, if I did.

How much are you talkin, for Win XP at
Fry's? ARound $100?

As for Vista/XP, I'm on an Imac, plus, I've heard nothing but scary stuff about Vista. I'm used to XP, and it's always run pretty smoothly.