Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP 6.0.2 is it safe for HDV?

Hi All,

I'm always scared to update if I read a couple bad reviews...anyone using the latest FCP 6.0.2 with HDV with no problems?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

If you read the release notes, the ".2" version of FCP 6 has the greatest HDV compatibility and addresses many HDV-related bugs with previous versions.

Assuming you have a clean-install of FCS2 then your upgrade should go smoothly.
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
Hi All,

I'm always scared to update if I read a couple bad reviews...anyone using the latest FCP 6.0.2 with HDV with no problems?

Thanks,
Scott
I'm using 6.0.2 + HDV and no major problems as of yet (knock on wood)
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Major Player

No problems here either...
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
If you read the release notes, the ".2" version of FCP 6 has the greatest HDV compatibility and addresses many HDV-related bugs with previous versions.

Assuming you have a clean-install of FCS2 then your upgrade should go smoothly.
The notes mean nothing to me. Real world experience from users like yourself is more valuable.

Not sure what you mean by a clean install..? I installed it, it works... I've tried hard not to get it dirty. ;)

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Shama; December 27th, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Real world experience:

- On my MacBook Pro I have been experiencing strange audio stutters with playback of HDV footage on the desktop. The projects export fine.

- On my dual 2 gig G5 tower and the MacBook Pro I have odd image garble that appears in the canvas and viewer windows from time to time. Parts of the desktop are repeated diagonally across the windows. It goes away as soon as I hit play.

Neither of these things happened with 5.1

Otherwise the program is great especially with mixed formats.
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
The notes mean nothing to me. Real world experience from users like yourself is more valuable.

Not sure what you mean by a clean install..? I installed it, it works... I've tried hard not to get it dirty. ;)

Thanks,
Scott
"Clean" install, meaning you didn't install FCS2 over a previous version, but on a fresh install of the OS. "Upgrade" installations of both FCS2 and Leopard are wrought with issues - see the forums for dozens of posts about the same.
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Wrangler

6.0.2 is not the MOST stable I've ever had, but it's certainly good enough to get professional work done.

In my experience, using FCP for almost 8 years now, problems come from:

1-Installing FCP on a system that doesn't have a fresh, CLEAN install of OS X on it.

2-Not getting a clean install of FCP on a machine after #1. If you have problems on the first install, chances are you need to wipe the machine and start over.

3-Trying to run new FCP versions on old system software, or vise-versa. Same goes with Quicktime versions.

4-Unfortunately there are such things as "don't do that" on FCP, some esoteric, that generally only learned by trial and error. For instance, don't go using an OS X feature like Expose over and over again in a program that uses OpenGL extensively, like Color or Motion. It pushes graphics card drivers to limits rarely tested.

There's lots of little things like this that you learn over time.

5-User error. This happens the most. I do it all the time. Often it's not the program, it's me doing something dumb.

All that said, if you have a recent Intel Power Mac, HDV is fine and for the most part, as fast as working with DV was 3 years ago. I have a 2.66 Intel tower with X1900 video card, and 8 drive eSATA raid and Kona LH. Working with HDV/XDCAM is so fast, smooth and flawless I marvel a little at people in other programs having trouble getting full framerate previews.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite