Buying a New Mac Pro, and word on the next step? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying a New Mac Pro, and word on the next step?

Looking for some "Leaks" on what/when Apple is releasing the next "16 core" (sarcastic joke) machine? Last time I bought the "latest" Quad core Power Mac G5, (my current machine), two weeks later the Mac Pro came out.

I've just gotten the approval from my work that we can upgrade. I've spec'ed out the 8 core, but then thought, "Maybe there is another upgrade due"? Any rumours, speculations, guesses, or should we just buy now? Same with the Macbook pro.

"Trying to stay ahead of the game"
Gary Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Trustee

the computer industry has about a 6 month turnover, apple tends to bump things every 6 months, and update every 12. The larger updates happen around big apple industry events like macworld and WWDC.

Buy the best you can get now and be happy with it, there'll always be a new machine just around the bend.
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #3
Major Player

I would advise you to hold on until after Macworld in January, where Apple could possibly announce new hardware.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

`"Like a Ferrari in the garage with no key"

Yes, good advise guys, thanks, but it hurts! haha "It's like your father gives you a brand new Ferrari for your 16th birthday, but your birthday isn't until next month so you don't get the key!"
Gary Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Gary,

Our company is also waiting untill Macworld in January to upgrade to a Mac Pro... so let's hope together that Apple does this ;-)

The Mac Pro hasn't been really upgraded since August 2006, and to many pro's this is a very long time, and many were expecting the upgrade already in november.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Trustee

In '94, I paid $600 for a 16Mb chip of RAM for my computer...one week later, they had come down to $300. It's not a new phenomenon, you just have to get used to it when dealing with technology.
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #7
Major Player

The Mac Rumors website has a buyers guide section that keeps track of Mac updates and has recommendations on when to buy.

Right now it's recommending DON'T BUY on the Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPhone and Xserve. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I am in the same boat...the Mac Pro has not been updated for a long time and I am going to wait until the next revision. Like Theodore says, the MacRumors guide is usually a safe bet. My roommate also works for Apple, and is "expecting" the Pro machines to be updated during Macworld.
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #9
Trustee

Good to hear. I'm looking to convert to a Mac Pro too. Decided to wait out for another 2 weeks to see what happens.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Don't feel bad about waiting a couple of weeks. If you do, go over to macrumors.com and read the posts of those that have been waiting for the update since last September, assuming that it wold happen any day.

Macworld, with the keynote scheduled for January 15th, is the safest bet at this point in time. Since the current models are so old (relatively speaking, compared with Apple laptops and iMacs), unless you need a new MacPro right now, it would be a very good idea to wait two more weeks.

- Martin
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #11
Major Player

That's rather painful.

I need to design, have built, shipped, and assemble into a workflow with other hardware and another mac by Feb 15th... was planning on buying by Jan 5th.

Ouch!

It sounds like it's worth waiting, but it may put me into a situation. The Feb 15th deadline is a hard deadline. :\

C
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #12
Major Player

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that apple announces consumer products in the winter, and pro in the summer.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Go Go Godzilla

Gary,

While rumors abound it's quite possible that the next iteration of the MacPro won't be a quantum leap in performance.

Based on Apple's history of hardware releases - even within the past 6 months - the "new" MacPro will most likely only be a step-up faster than the current versions being offered.

If you currently have a G5 and were to purchase a current Octo-Core MacPro that most certainly *would* be a significant jump in computing power, versatility and capabilities. However if you had a current MacPro and were considering waiting for the "new" version you'll most likely be disappointed that it won't be as great a performance increase as most are hoping.

BUT, having said that, there are enough rumors (and let's be very clear about this: 90% of Apple-based rumors end up being way off the mark) to suggest that the next iteration of MP's *might* include a true 16-core mainboard. Now that would be a significant performance jump compared to the 8-core machine, especially when you consider that Leopard was designed from the ground-up to take advantage of multi-core, multi-threading, multi-pipeline memory allocation much more than Tiger was ever able to do.

My advice: If you need to upgrade now because you want/need the added capabilities of the MacPro that the G5 simply doesn't offer, you'll be more than satisfied with the current 8-core machine (make sure you get a minimum of 4GB of RAM). If you can wait until next month to see if the 16-core rumors have any validity, that would be worth waiting for.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I personally am more waiting for more bang for the buck then at this moment (some rumors say the Mac Pro modells will START at 8 cores, although, like you said, Robert, only rumors...) and especially some more base RAM and maybe lower prices on the cinema monitors too.

Looking forward to the switch!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM   #15
Go Go Godzilla

As I say, rumors abound - just like the one that Apple will introduce a 40" inch ACD (really?!!), but it wouldn't hurt to wait until later this month to see what exactly lands at our feet. Either way, you'll be very happy with any MacPro vs. a G5 - especially since Leopard will be on-board which will make you really happy when you see how much less time it takes for renders or Compressor encodes.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite