DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 29th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Mixing frame rates in FCP 6.0.2

I am mixing 23.98 and 29.97 SD video on a timeline and I cannot seem to get a proper pulldown in Final Cut. I have tried easy setup with "all frame rates" selected. I have tried a timeline with a 23.98 time base and also a 29.97 time base. Each causes pulldown issues to the non-native frame rate. For example, if I conform a timeline to 23.98, the 29.97 video stutters (no pulldown). If I conform to a 29.97 timeline, the 23.98 video suffers with a repeat 5th frame-hence an unnecessary pulldown. Anyone have an easy solution or is this a FCP bug?

Thanks, Larry
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #2
Major Player

What framerate did you shoot the 23.98 at? You must likely need to de-interlace this if it was shot on DV or HDV. Otherwise, a NTSC timeline will work perfect for DV 23.98 mixing with NTSC.

Do not conform as it does nothing useful to the video. You must actually de-interlace if you'd like the footage to have the same framerate. Check out JES de-interlacer, it will help get your framerates the same.

If that doesn't work, you could always reverse telecine in Cinema Tools. Although, this is a bit dangerous as you have the possibility of destroying your original footage.

Hope this helps,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Major Player

I am extracting footage from a dv 24p dvd and I do not know what frame rate it was shot at. But, I do own a Canon XH-A1 and I have tried to mix hdv 24f with 60i with the repeat 5th frame results on a dv-ntsc timeline. So from what I gathered from your reply was that I need to reverse telecine the 24p footage in Cinema Tools and place that on the dv-ntsc timeline? Or, better yet I could deinterlace the 29.97 footage and work with a 23.98 timeline? I have more 29.97 footage so I am working on a regular dv-ntsc timeline which seems to work better for this project. I have 2 clips that need pulldown removal: One is HDV 24f and the other is an extracted dvd with dvdxdv. They both need the 2:3 pulldown removed but Final Cut doesn't know what to do with it.
Thanks for the JES de-interlacer link. I'll check that out.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Trustee

not that you want to hear it, but you may want to go back to 6.0.1. 6.0.2 has broken mixing frame rates. please complain directly to apple here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

and let them know loud an clear they have really F'd this up badly. TL's I had working perfect in 6.0.1 are messing up bigtime in 6.0.2. I'm totally P#SS@D about this because its broken several of my projects.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite