Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP question... Rotating a clip

Hi there

I'm editing a feature in Final Cut Pro 5 and there's a clip i want to rotate. I don't mean just flip it, but to have it constantly rotating around it's own axis. I'm guessing this can be done using the motion controls, but i'm struggling with it. Some help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Sean
Sean Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Sean,

Any filter or motion can be applied using keyframes and, you can easily accomplish the rotation you want by setting a beginning and end-point of your rotation using keyframes.

I don't know of any tutorials that I can direct you to about keyframes specifically, but if you look at the online manuals for working with keyframes you'll get the idea pretty quickly.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I find Lynda.com to be a great resource. There is a charge to use this website but it full of tutorials listed by software and topic that can be viewed easily and quickly. It's been a great resource for me.
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Sean, double click the clip in the timeline that you want to rotate and it will open in the viewer window. click on the "Motion" tab and you'll see basic motion controls there... try adjusting the "Rotation" control. Is that the effect you're looking for ? If so, experiment with keyframing that control. You might want to consider scaling up the image a little, so that the frame edge is not exposed as it spins. The "Center" control will reposition the spinning image within the canvas, and the "Anchor Point" will set the axis around which the image spins. Cheers Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys...

Thanks for the help.... just got it sorted thanks to your advice.

Sean
Sean Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite