DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Tourist

Audio Drift / 24PA Questions

I just captured a 40-minute tape (as all one big chunk of video) off my XL2 and was surprised to find the audio was wayyyyyy off. Sometimes on a really long tape it's off by a few seconds or up to a minute or so... but this time it was off by about 7.5 minutes... the audio starts about where it should - as far as I can tell.. but when I watch the video track, the last 7.5 minutes are black as the audio track continues with audio that should've been playing during the video track.

After two hours of tinkering, I couldn't manually sync the sound (no slate or loud noises - just a lot of dialogue).

I shot in 24PA and captured with the 24PA pulldown removal... (i notice when I do this... clip/timeline/etc settings still say 29.97 fps... shoudn't it be 23.97 fps? or 24?) Is this part of the problem?

I have quite a bit of footage like this that I'll be capturing in the future and I want to make sure I understand the problems here so I can get everything right later on...
Stephen Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Get used to it. I shot a feature with the XL-2 and any time I captured over 30 min via firewire, most of the time the audio is out of sync.

I had to re digitize 34 hour long tapes.

So your work around options are as follows:
1) Break up the clip while digitizing
2) Use a DV deck to transfer the tape via firewire (if you shot 24p your frame handling will still be processed!)

Hope this helps and I know your pain.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite