Dual 3 ghz G5 in 12 months! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:27 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Dual 3 ghz G5 in 12 months!

I saw during macminute.com's update today that Jobs mentioned a 3 ghz DP G5 in a year. That's great!

Of course, I think the 2 ghz DP is PERFECT for really high-end editing via FCP 4. Avid, start shaking! Heh heh...

heath
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:08 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Pretty remarkable, eh? An interesting new design for those August PowerMacs, too.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Pretty remarkable, eh? An interesting new design for those August PowerMacs, too. -->>>

The best part was when I saw the update quoted Jobs as saying the rumors on the web and the mistake at their site (accidently putting a small section about the different G5s on the G4 PowerMac page) was true. YEAH! The G5 really is an Apple and video junkie wet dream!

heath
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:24 PM   #4

I'll bet that the 3D animators will need to be sedated for the next few months.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:25 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : I'll bet that the 3D animators will need to be sedated for the next few months. -->>>

I need to have my checking account locked.

heath
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:32 PM   #6

I need to be locked-up. The downtown Chicago Apple store, billed as the "ultimate Apple experience", will be opening on Friday. It's a 15 min stroll from my home. Judging from the looks of this building, it will be really something to "experience".

Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:21 PM   #7
Major Player

My only complaint is the drop from 4 drive bays to 2 (HD). Granted, there is plenty of external connectability but given the occasional problems with external firewire drives I would have liked to see the 4 drive option remain.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:04 AM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Pretty remarkable, eh? An interesting new design for those August PowerMacs, too. -->>>

Wow..that is one uglee pooter!

But I might lash out on one of the last Quicksilvers if I can get a bargain. Next to my Cube, that has to be one of the most georgeous designs. Of course, I'd have to rip out all the insides to install an Intel CPU... ;-)
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 03:10 AM   #9

Looks like a wastebasket. An ugly wastebasket. Oh well it looks to be a great computer. But I'll wait for the G6.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #10
Wrangler

I'll have to disagree with that, looks good to me... nice simple clean lines, functional. I'm still using one of the old G4's, with the gray plastic front panel. The blue and white G3's were quite a departure for a tower enclosure, but a little "fruity" like the iMacs. To my eyes, the original G4's looked nice as a monochrome version of that blue and white tower.

But over the years Apple kept making little cosmetic changes to the same design and it started looking old. I especially dislike the look of the latest G4's with those ugly "portholes" and shiny chrome. It's about time they retired that curvy case.

But regardless of what you think of the case design, the innards look pretty sweet :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

A lot of people complained when they dropped PCI slots on the original blue and white tower, and Avid left them. I bought one and was ridiculed for using FCP 1.0. Now most of those people are using FCP and Apples!

The G6 might not come out for another 4 years, like the G4 (fall 1999).

heath
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

good machine..not perfect

I have a dual gig quicksilver that is just fine for my uses. It's not just speed I'm looking for; I do want additional internal bays and I want dual internal CD burners so I can copy a CD easily. I'll upgrade at some point but this quicksilver was a good purchase that remains fast enough for me at this point. if I ever start getting paid for video work and speed begins t0 = money, it might be different, but till then I'm still a happy camper.
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #13

It's kind of weird... whenever I get a new Mac, I barely notice any speed increase. It is there but just not overwhelming. Then I use the new computer for a few months or so and then go and use the old one (that I sold to a friend or whatever) and it seems slooooow. I would have a hard time going back to my 450mhz G4. I am on a dual 1gig G4 now (with the mirrored drive doors removed to I can access the DVD drive myself).

Actually I think I'll wait for the G7. I don't want to be stuck with a crappy-ass underpowered G6 when that sucker comes out! :)
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Curtis T. Stoeber : It's kind of weird... whenever I get a new Mac, I barely notice any speed increase. It is there but just not overwhelming. Then I use the new computer for a few months or so and then go and use the old one (that I sold to a friend or whatever) and it seems slooooow. I would have a hard time going back to my 450mhz G4. I am on a dual 1gig G4 now (with the mirrored drive doors removed to I can access the DVD drive myself).

Actually I think I'll wait for the G7. I don't want to be stuck with a crappy-ass underpowered G6 when that sucker comes out! :) -->>>

It's the same with PCs...Unless it's something like going from a dual 1 ghz to a 2 or 3 ghz, I don't notice much.

hwm
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #15
Trustee

Well I'm going to put along with my dual 800 until apple care runs out and I can afford a dual 2 (3? 4!) and I'm fairly certain that by then i'll notice the speed difference. Besdes aen't the first versions of everything a little buggy?
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite