DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #1
New Boot

color calibration for cinema,dvd

Hi,
I have cut a film shot in 720p in fcp using apple cinema displays and have noticed a very different color quality and level of brightness when I view the material elsewhere. What I would like to know is if there is some way to standardise this so that the material will look as similar as possible wherever it is played. In general on tv its too dark, but when projected it has been too bright. I realise that I may need to color correct 2 different versions, one for dvd or home viewing, and one for a full HD version screened on a HD cinema projector, but am wondering if there are particular values that could be adhered to for reliable results.

I understand there are a lot of variables at work here, but any insights, suggestions, or website reccomendations would be appreciated. I just want to be able to see the film the way it is supposed to look when I screen it...

Thanks a lot,

Tom
Tom Rosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Tom,

Read my reply in this thread about how to setup your displays:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=806593

Additionally it's important to note that no matter how well you color-correct in FCP or if you make gamma corrections in Compressor you'll always have slight variances between display mediums, not to mention if the displaying device is not properly setup to begin with then things will never look right.

If you use the color space setting mentioned in the above thread you'll have the greatest compatibility across the board with how it's displayed.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite