DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Migrating to a MacPro from a PC

I am considering migrating to a MacPro, but will need to dual boot for windows only applications. Some specific questions:

1. Can I dual boot on two separate drives? Windows XP on one and Leopard on the other?
2. Can I run my Adobe CS3 Suite on both drives. (ie in XP and Leopard)
3. Will my render times speed up in Leopard since it is 64 bit and able to use more memory?
4. Can I partition two internal drives in Raid 0, separate from the other two drives? Or is it better to go with external Raid? (With my Boxx I have 6 internal drives, a system drive, a storage drive and a 4 drive internal Raid. My external 1TB WD Firewire 800 drive is way too slow compared to the internal raid.)
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moody View Post
I am considering migrating to a MacPro, but will need to dual boot for windows only applications. Some specific questions:

1. Can I dual boot on two separate drives? Windows XP on one and Leopard on the other?
2. Can I run my Adobe CS3 Suite on both drives. (ie in XP and Leopard)
3. Will my render times speed up in Leopard since it is 64 bit and able to use more memory?
4. Can I partition two internal drives in Raid 0, separate from the other two drives? Or is it better to go with external Raid? (With my Boxx I have 6 internal drives, a system drive, a storage drive and a 4 drive internal Raid. My external 1TB WD Firewire 800 drive is way too slow compared to the internal raid.)
1 - Yes.
2 - As long as you have both Win and Mac versions, yes; when running either OS you're literally using the real thing, so windows will work exactly as it does on a PC - including viruses, spyware etc.
3 - Yes, encoding in Compressor is notably faster than Tiger was on the same machine. I can personally attest to this behavior.
4 - Never use an internal RAID, period, you'll never get the real benefit of speed or redudancy as you would from external arrays.

FW drives are slow compared to direct SATA connectivity, so if you want speed and safety then look at the plethora of eSATA, SCSI or Fiber external arrays. Do your homework and ask lots of questions, each setup has it's pro's and cons - and costs.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite