DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
For SD and HDV work, and increasingly even HD with the new H-264 and Apple codecs, a specialized video transcoding card might be an unnecessary expense.
I don't quite follow you. You can't output an HDV signal via FW in real time like you can SD so you need another device to get your HDV signal onto an external monitor. The same goes for every format, AFAIK, besides DV and DVCPro 25/50/HD.

Getting an quality LCD that gives a good image and is easy on the eyes is important, but in terms of judging your work you need to view it on an external/b'cast type monitor. The only exception to that that I know of is using the Matrox MXO in conjunction w/a 23" ACD.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM   #17
Regular Crew

ACD 32" en 'zeer tevreden', to say it in Dutch ;-) . From ergonomics point of view a winner. I don't like Dell, Samsung,... for this purpose: most standard PC 'mainstream' LCD monitors, good for word & excel, are lot harder for the eyes, and all tending very much to the 'blue' kind of chroma.

The only remark, is that ACD are video... getting a bit slow, but still acceptable.

The displays on the new i-Mac deliver an impressive performance, surely regarding contrasts & colors. Very crisp display. It can be assumed that in not very far from now, Apple will update the present ACD line with the same kind of technology, or even more advanced.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bouwen View Post
ACD 32" en 'zeer tevreden', to say it in Dutch ;-) . From ergonomics point of view a winner. I don't like Dell, Samsung,... for this purpose: most standard PC 'mainstream' LCD monitors, good for word & excel, are lot harder for the eyes, and all tending very much to the 'blue' kind of chroma.

The only remark, is that ACD are video... getting a bit slow, but still acceptable.

The displays on the new i-Mac deliver an impressive performance, surely regarding contrasts & colors. Very crisp display. It can be assumed that in not very far from now, Apple will update the present ACD line with the same kind of technology, or even more advanced.
Another someone from Belgium ;-)

Don't forget that the colours from the iMac screens look crispier and contrasty because it are glossy screens, but most professionals DON'T want that for their screen, because it isn't such a neutral true presentation, + reflection.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM   #19
New Boot

Dell and Apple have the same LG panel on the inside. I'm not sure about the new 30" Dell though, I just noticed them a little while ago but haven't had time to look into what runs them. I love Apple but refuse to pay the extra for a pretty silver bezel. But to each their own. It all gets the job done.

Last edited by Neal Slimick; January 21st, 2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: wrong wording
Neal Slimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Slimick View Post
Dell and Apple have the same LG panel on the inside.
Do you have a link for this? Someone else in this thread said they both use the same Sony panel and I've read else where that 23" ACD uses a SWOP-certifed IPS panel while the Dell 2407 only uses a PVA panel. Of course this is a non-issue as we should all be using reference monitors to get an accurate representation of our video. But if you buy an MXO and use the 23" ACD you can get an inexpensive setup that is nearly as accurate as using a b'cast quality Sony HD CRT.

Ugh.

-A
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM   #21
Trustee

[QUOTE=Andrew Kimery;811337]I don't quite follow you. You can't output an HDV signal via FW in real time like you can SD so you need another device to get your HDV signal onto an external monitor. The same goes for every format, AFAIK, besides DV and DVCPro 25/50/HD.

Nope,

At least on the Mac side, folks have been doing direct FW export to FCP timelines since 6.01 provided they have modern Intel based boxes.

Check out the apple website here for details:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....0048&tstart=60

You can chose to export a bit copy of HDV native, or transcode to either the Apple intermediate - or ProRes Codecs during transfer without any card at all.

Remember the HDV datarate is actually a bit LESS than DV as far as stream size is concerned - that's how efficient the HDV codec is.

Yes, it takes more horsepower to decode/encode for editing on the fly, but Firewire can handle the stream transport with no more hassle than plain vanilla DV.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:29 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Nope,

At least on the Mac side, folks have been doing direct FW export to FCP timelines since 6.01 provided they have modern Intel based boxes.

Check out the apple website here for details:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....0048&tstart=60

You can chose to export a bit copy of HDV native, or transcode to either the Apple intermediate - or ProRes Codecs during transfer without any card at all.

Remember the HDV datarate is actually a bit LESS than DV as far as stream size is concerned - that's how efficient the HDV codec is.

Yes, it takes more horsepower to decode/encode for editing on the fly, but Firewire can handle the stream transport with no more hassle than plain vanilla DV.
Okay, that's where the confusion lays. I thought you were talking about outputting a signal (because that's what Robert was talking about in his post you replied to), not capturing a signal. Yes, for getting media onto your NLE you can do a lot w/o an I/O card, but to get an accurate video signal out of your computer to a reference monitor you still need an I/O device unless you are working w/DV or DVCPro HD and have a deck/camera handy to act as a pass thru.

-A
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #23
Major Player

Firewire monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kimery View Post
Okay, that's where the confusion lays. I thought you were talking about outputting a signal (because that's what Robert was talking about in his post you replied to), not capturing a signal. Yes, for getting media onto your NLE you can do a lot w/o an I/O card, but to get an accurate video signal out of your computer to a reference monitor you still need an I/O device unless you are working w/DV or DVCPro HD and have a deck/camera handy to act as a pass thru.

-A
I know this is an old thread but i stumbled upon this and it raised a few questions in my mind. I edit full raster HD on a 1080p footage (in vegas mind you) and for colour correction im using a jvc broadcast sd crt monitor, the way i have my system doing this is through firewire. I have a firewire cable running from my computer into a vtr deck that then outputs a composite signal to my monitor and i have found that its VERY accurate for colour reproduction and plays everything back in real-time no problem and my computer is very standard with no special i/o cards. Now im not sure if this is a Vegas thing and maybe FCP cant do it (i hope not as im moving to fcp very soon) but this workflow has served me well for a while now.

Fair enough the signal that is being outputted is not hd but if it was i would need a suitable hd monitor to view it, plus most work we do or at least I do is for sd broadcast/sd dvd which means it's preferable that the signal going into my jvc monitor isn’t hd, that way i'm seeing exactly how my final video will and should look. Please someone chime in here because i realise i have just contradicted what hundreds of people are saying so i am very open to hearing what i'm doing wrong or what I may have misunderstood because i simply cant understand how i manage to do this yet it's apparently 'not doable'. Thank you
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite