DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Major Player

DPS Velocity to FCP 6.02

my friend just bought a final cut studio 2 system and needs to transfer his files from DPS Velocity. The footage was originally shot on film and transferred to digi beta 4:3 and ingested into the DPS system.
I have exported the files as uncompressed quicktime movies PAL 720 by 576 and imported them into a DV PAL timeline using DV pal easy Setup and settings. The audio won't play in sync and the dropping frames box message comes up every few seconds. I have tried changing the RT settings to no avail. I also notice that the frame rates on the clips in the browser are 59.94 while the data rates were 39.7 which does not sound correct to me.

What's the best way to get these files into FCP (or out of the other app) and what is the correct Easy Setup and Sequence settings once i get there. Alternatively should i be importing them into Compressor instead?

Very confused. Any Ideas?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Dom,

There's several things that could be causing the out-of-synch audio - which may not actually be a synch issue at all depending on how you're viewing the footage.

The bigger issue is that if you're dealing with any uncompressed format on a Mac then you'd need a high-end system with tons of RAM and fast external arrays to be able to playback uncompressed without dropping frames or stuttering playback.

You would only be using Compressor if you needed to convert the files into something else again - which I wouldn't recommend since you've already done a translation from the Velocity system.

To really know how to help we'd need the actual specs of the Mac your friend is using.

Alternatively I'd highly suggest reading the online manual for FCP which will answer most if not all your questions about proper setup and sequence presets based on the needs of the project.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Robert. I've copy/pasted your comments into an email to my mate and will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

D
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite