Soundtrack Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Soundtrack Pro

This program comes in Final Cut Studio. Is it a useful one to know, or are there other things out there that blow it away?
Paul South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Very useful, I never use Final Cut to edit sound since Soundtrack is a lot better for that purpose. There are other options like http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/ (more focused on music) but for me Soundtrack does everything I need.
Melvin Torrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Torrens View Post
Very useful, I never use Final Cut to edit sound since Soundtrack is a lot better for that purpose. There are other options like http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/ (more focused on music) but for me Soundtrack does everything I need.
Funny enough, Soundtrack Pro is ALSO included in the Logic package...

if it's for video: go for Soundtrack Pro.
As Melvin said, Logic is a good package, but for musicians.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul South View Post
Is it a useful one to know, or are there other things out there that blow it away?
It's very useful. A lot more functionality and much better control over your audio than what's built into Final Cut, such as
- noise removal
- surround panning
- tons of effects
- easy access to the provided sound effects, jingles, etc.
- ability to keyframe effect parameters (Soundtrack calls them "envelope points")

In my workflow, I usually start in Soundtrack Pro with cleaning up the recorded audio and sometime use a little compression or normalization, then go to Final Cut to edit the sequence, and then return to Soundtrack Pro for the finishing audio touches (i.e., finalizing music and sound effects, mixing, reverb, surround panning, etc.).

Are there better things out there? I am sure there are - many professionals won't work with anything but ProTools - but I happen to own Soundtrack Pro, and it does what I need. Well worth spending time with!

- Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite