DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

File Error Importing into FCP - Possible resolution

If anyone has received the error message "File Error: 1 file recognized, 0 access denied, etc." here is a solution to fixing that problem before converting it into a new file.

First off, the file was extracted from a DVD as a .MP4 format using Handbrake. I tried converting the format to a DV/NTSC format within quicktime pro and final cut still did not want to import the file.

I opened up IMOVIE HD and it's now importing the file. With any luck, I will be able to edit the file in imovie and then export it out and make the final touches through FCP. Unfortunately, once it came to under a minute to complete, I-MOVIE locked up. Now, I'm trying to convert the file in quicktime using the H.264 format.

My question is since FCP is such an extensive program, why does a lower end software recognize and play a file that FCP does not?
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #2
Major Player

If imovie locked up, I don't know that it is handling the file any better than FCP. I use mpeg streamclip to convert dvds, and it has worked so far (get it from the "squared5" website, it's free). I don't really know what's wrong, but do you have the latest version of quicktime? -I hear it is awful and can cause access problems, so avoid it!
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip Aric, I will try the software you mentioned.

***Downloaded the software, it's great!!! And it's FREE!"*** The trimming option is so nice.

Last edited by Josh Woll; January 30th, 2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added comments
Josh Woll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite