DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM   #1
New Boot

getting a dvd into final cut

How can i get a movie that is on dvd so that i can mess around with it and edit it on final cut?
Paul South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The only thing I can think of at the moment is a screen capture software, meaning a software that will record anything playing (or going on) on your computer's desktop. For example, for the Mac, I've used Snapz Pro. Just start a DVD like you normally would and let it record. When it is done, convert the file into something you can edit. I'm sure there are many variations out there.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Assuming of course, that you have all proper permissions etc etc ..

You have to convert the DVD's MPEG2 file into a format that FCP works better with, for instance NTSC/PAL DV etc

Use software like DVxDVD, a commercial app that works pretty well or MPEG Streamclip (this is free but you need to have Apple's MPEG Playback Component installed to make it work). These apps give you the options of different kinds of export for your project. DVxDVD allows you select portions from the DVD; Streamclip may but I won't swear to it.

You can also do a pass thru solution: Hook your DVD player via analog cables to a DV cam and the cam to the puter via FW.

Any way you go, be prepared for some quality loss by the time you go back out to DVD
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
New Boot

I have Clone Dvd, and it puts a movie on my computer, but it is in a bunch of separate DVD Movie files.
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I would use MPEG Streamclip all the way if possible. It's very very good piece of software and you can convert it into all sorts of formats.

Or...use Handbrake.

http://handbrake.fr/

Not sure on the amount of export choices but it's a step in the right direction at least.

Obviously it goes without saying not to edit copyrighted material with the software...

Good luck.
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I use DVDxDVPro and have had no problems with it. Works with either PAL or NTSC, not free though and won't work on commercially bought DVDs, obvious copyright issues.

David
David Tindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Major Player

The only issue with Handbrake is that it only exports to MPEG4 which is not an ideal format to work with

I'd say the choice is between Streamclip and DVxDVD, they both are reliable products
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Cinematize is convenient for extracting exact sections of DVDs.

http://www.miraizon.com/products/products.html
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Major Player

You could try this guy's approach: http://gruntmedia.com/videogrunt_004_view.html

MPEG Streamclip on Mac will open .VOB files directly from the DVD and allow you to export them as FCP compatible Quicktime DVD files.

Don't know if it will work with protected DVDs.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #10
Major Player

I'd have to say Streamclip Mpeg too, love all the flexibility. it be free too =D
Old February 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #11
Trustee

MacTheRipper... but if you have a capture card, just load the DVD as ProRes and be done with it. far far less hassle then any other means.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Major Player

With MacTheRipper you only get the audio and video .ts files, no codec that can be read by final cut, i assume. Could be wrong though! =D
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #13
Trustee

I've just used Cinematize 2 (from Mirazion) mostly because when I bought it a few years ago, some of the other low-cost or free options currently available were either not yet available or not yet stable enough for my needs. Cinematize 2 is not free though. Its a bit of cash. But I'm really impressed with its capabilities. Lots of control about specifying exactly what I want to extract from the DVD, and easy exporting directly into NTSC quicktime .mov files with included 48kHz audio that drop right into my NLE. No sweat.

I'm pretty sure it work with encrypted DVDs, but I've never tried it so I don't know (although I believe it makes mention of such in the documentation.)

I don't remember what I paid (somewhere between $45 - $60) which I wouldn't recommend paying unless you were planning to get your money's worth by using the application a lot.

I understand there they have since released a 'Pro' version with significantly enhanced extraction capabilities among other things - but for my uses, the price tag of the Pro version if prohibitively priced in a BIG way.

But either way, the Cinematize 2 that I have used for a few years has been a real winner for me.

-Jon
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #14
New Boot

i used Streamclip and was able to get it in. thanks everyone for your input
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #15
Regular Crew

mpeg streamclip is such an awesome tool. here here to mpeg streamclip!
Michael McQueen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite