DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Pan Scan Dvdsp

A quick question:
I created a DVD with DVDSP so that the video could be played 16:9 letterbox and also another version Pan and Scan (with subtitles tailored to 4:3).
i simulate and all is as it should be, but when the burned DVD plays through my computer (iMac "17) BOTH are letterbox.
is this a case of the computer making its own decision to show full screen letterbox for the pan scan?
will it play 4:3 on a tv with a DVD player (i WILL test, but access to a DVD player and TV is not quick or easy {i'm in Burundi with all that goes with that...}).
thanks in advance.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Isn't your imac widescreen? Are you saying it has black bars on the top and bottom?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #3
Major Player

yes, the iMac is widescreen, and there are bars on top and bottom:
it shows the pan and scan version (track in DVDSP assigned as '16:9 pan and scan') as letterboxed. i actually went out and found and purchased a DVD player and tested the DVD, and it showed the letterbox as letterbox and the pan and scan as 4:3, cropped (so, as pan and scan).
relieved that it works as it should on a DVD player and TV, but still wondering why the computer won't show the 'pan and scan' as 4:3 cropped?
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite