Canon XL & XH 24F, 25F, 30F capture in FCP / FCE - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro And A1 Help Aspap

I bought my A1 and tried importing some test footage to my imovie hd and it wont support my camera. It says it's inaccesible. Why is that if the camera is HD and so is the program. It wanted me to down convert it or something so it's not HD but I want it to be all HD when i import it and not look stretched and crappy. I tried switching to final cut pro and tried importing my footage on that and I had to go into signal setup and switch it to PLAYBACK STD: AUTO OR DV not HDV. I just want to import my footage the way it is on the camera without stretching it so much or making it look way worse on the program. What should I do?
Dean Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #62
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Canon XH to NLE Mac.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #63
Major Player

On FCP, make sure your device control is set to HDV and your sequence preset is set to HDV 1080 60i or 24p to capture. I've captured footage today that was shot at both 1080i60 and 1080p24 and it works great with FCP.

What settings are you using now? go to FCP menu > audio/video settings

EDIT - I just checked my FCP and forgot I made a custom device control preset for the A1 when shooting 1080 24F. Here are the settings:

Protocol: HDV FireWire
Time Source: DV Time
Frame Rate: 24

My capture preset is 'HDV' and my sequence preset is 'HDV - 1080p24'. When I capture 60i I use the device control 'HDV FireWire' and the sequence preset 'HDV - 1080i60'... and have no trouble. Hope this helps
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #64
Regular Crew

hey thank you for replying. I am going over my FCP Setting and trying to do what you told me but all it has is HDV- 1080i50, 1080i60, and 720p30 as far as capturing in HD. I dont know why it doesnt have 1080i24 like you said. I'm gonna keep trying stuff. thanks so much for the help though. Any other thoughts about imovie? I have imovie HD and would like to edit on that but it wont let me. Is there a plugin or something I can get to upload my HD Footage because it is imovie HD which is weird..
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #65
Major Player

Oh yea, forgot to mention you need the 5.1.2 Crossgrade upgrade for $50. You need to get it before March though because I think the price will go up. Trust me, its well worth the $50, especially since this will let you use your A1 with it

http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Dean,

I can import from my XH A1 in iMovie without a problem. It works on both my Mac Mini and Macbook Pro (both Intel). Maybe you need to check for updates of your iMovie?
You also need to make your project a 1080i project. Whenever I now connect my camera and iMovie is up, the camera gets detected.
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Quote: "Any other thoughts about imovie? I have imovie HD and would like to edit on that but it wont let me"

Capture with HDVXHD. Use MPEGstreamclip to convert m2t file to Quicktime Apple Intermediate Codec. Import Clip into imovie.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #68
Regular Crew

Hey James
Sorry that was really confusing. I'm not sure I follow. I don't want to go through a process of down converting my footage. I just want it to go straight from my HD Camera to Imovie HD the way it is. Do i need a certain fire-wire cuz mine is kinda old. I'm not sure.
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #69
Regular Crew

Hey James,
Sorry that was really confusing. I'm not sure I follow. I don't want to go through a process of down converting my footage. I just want it to go straight from my HD Camera to Imovie HD the way it is. Do i need a certain fire-wire because mine is kinda old but I'm really not sure. My footage is 1080i by the way.
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Hey James,
Sorry that was really confusing. I'm not sure I follow. I don't want to go through a process of down converting my footage. I just want it to go straight from my HD Camera to Imovie HD the way it is. Do i need a certain fire-wire because mine is kinda old but I'm really not sure. My footage is 1080i by the way.
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Hey James,
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Sorry about all those reply's! My computer is acting up. Sorry about that
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #73
Regular Crew

It looks like imovie doesn't support the Canon XH series right now.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #74
Regular Crew

damn that really sucks because I am so used to imovie. Are you sure it's not because my fire-wire is old and may need a new one or something like an HD fire-wire? I also want to transfer all my footage into FCP without down converting it. I just want it to go straight into FCP as HD. What do i do?
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #75
Regular Crew

So far, I can't get anything into Final Cut Pro or Imovie from the A1 except SD. or using HDVXDV.

http://www.hdvxdv.com/

http://www.squared5.com/

Final Cut Pro is the only NLE for mac that supposedly works with the A1, I believe. May have to try a reinstall of OSX as noted in another thread.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite