Canon XL & XH 24F, 25F, 30F capture in FCP / FCE - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #91
Regular Crew

Richard,
Can you name the steps you do on imovie because My A1 does not want to take it. I have to make it "dv" instead of "hdv" or something and it automatically letterbox's everything which makes importing take hours. What are your settings?!?!
Dean Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #92
Regular Crew

imovie

i just launch i movie the latest version that is running
on my G5
I have my camcorder on vcr and plugged in via firewire to the
G5
Imovie gives me the blue screen "camera connected"
I than hit import and the video gets imported correctly
on the top of the window it even say 1080 60i
make sure you are running the latest version of imovie
no tricks it worked the first time
My final cut pro doesn't recognize the camera at all.
I just recieved the FP upgrade in the mail today and will try it out over the next few days
good luck
Richard Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #93
Major Player

I don't use FCP, but I've seen several people on this forum mention it takes "too long" to capture downconverting from the A1 (well they say "import", but I'm assuming they're just using wrong terminology). How can it take longer than realtime? Clue me in please.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #94
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Leong
It looks like imovie doesn't support the Canon XH series right now.
Yes it does.
I got a MacMini and MacBook Pro (both Intel) and iMovie detects my XHA01 without a glitch. I can use the controls to make the A1 rewind and such.
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #95
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Leong
It looks like imovie doesn't support the Canon XH series right now.
Yes it does.
I got a MacMini and MacBook Pro (both Intel) and iMovie detects my XHA01 without a glitch. I can use the controls to make the A1 rewind and such.

PS: I live in PAL land and the 50i and 25f get imported without a problem
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #96
Regular Crew

30F in Final Cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely
I just tried 30F for the first time. Captured fine on 1080i60 easy setup on the sony firewire setting. FCP 5.1.2, capturing from camera. 1080i60 timeline. Looks beautiful and looks progressive. Frame grabs have no scan lines and no strobing. Don't understand how it works, but it's cool.
I wanted to ask if you have any problems using the 1080i60 Easy Setup for editing 30F footage in Final Cut 5.1.2. I have done the same, but am worried that it is too good to be true. Thanks, Hugh.
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #97
Major Player

I've done four projects now in 30F on a 1080i60 timeline with no problems. It looks and smells like progressive, so I don't know how it works. Movement looks a lot nicer on 30F.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #98
Major Player

I just shot with the Canon XL H1 both 60i and 24f...and for the LIFE of me FCP would not see this camera. The computer would, I saw it in the system profiler. But no matter what HDV setting I chose (I chose them ALL) FCP would not see this camera. SO I ended up capturing at DVCPRO HD via my Kona LH. But I wanted to see it at its native resolution.

Now, I did notice a little loss of detail at 24F compared to 60i. You guys notice that? And I read a review on CNET.com that says that shooting in progressive mode you lose HALF of your resolution...it throws away fields of information to shoot FAKE progressive frames:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_XL_H1/...-31556313.html

"...the Canon XL H1 cannot record true progressive video in either HD or SD. That's a real disadvantage for those going for a cinematic look. The XL H1 does offer a pseudo-progressive shooting option, which Canon calls Frame Mode, in 30- and 24-frame-per-second varieties. Unfortunately, while Frame Mode provides identical motion quality to that of progressive video, it results in a significant loss of vertical resolution."

Now, this camera at 60i puts out AMAZING imagry. I was having a blast shooting my kids playing, and hanging out at the Griffith Observatory (in LA).

Still, I would liked to have captured as HDV, but I couldn't get FCP to recognize it. FCP 5.1.2.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #99
Regular Crew

Editing 30F in Final Cut 5.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely
I've done four projects now in 30F on a 1080i60 timeline with no problems. It looks and smells like progressive, so I don't know how it works. Movement looks a lot nicer on 30F.
Thanks for the response. I have tried every test I could think of to confirm that the footage is in fact full frame once exported from Final Cut. It appears to be working perfectly.
The only snag I have encountered is when I first "Log & Capture" the 30F footage using the 1080i60 Easy Setup the new clip shows up in my browser as having an "Upper" field dominance. Does yours? All I have done is change the field dominance of the 1080i60 sequence to "None", and saved the configuration as an "Easy Setup". When the 30F clip ("Upper" field dominence) is placed in the custom 1080i60 sequence (field dominence "None") and is then exported to Compressor it is recognized as "Progressive" rather than "Upper".
Thanks, Hugh
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #100
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kendal
OK....just got a new A1 and now I am trying to figure out the proper settings for capture and editing 30f in FCP.

I'm sure someone has already done this....so would you care to share your settings for capture and also your timeline settings for editing.

THANKS!!!
Have you had any luck capturing and editing 30F using Final Cut? I tried using the 1080i60 Easy Setup and it seems to work well. When I drop a interlaced clip into the 1080i60 sequence the interlacing is very apparent at the edges of objects, but when I drop the 30F clip into the 1080i60 sequence there is no interlacing and the footage looks truly full frame. I wish someone out there knew the definitive answer to capturing and editing 30F in Final Cut 5.1.2.

Thanks, Hugh
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #101
Regular Crew

24f And Final Cut 5.1.2

Hello
I have the updated version of FINAL CUT PRO 5.1.2 and this is supposed to support 24F. I shot in 24F and I have tried importing all my footage and it says its unable to locate it. It doesn't recognize it or something. I tried 60i and it worked great with my a1. I REALLY NEED 24F to work and was told if i upgraded to 5.1.2 i would have that option. It shows there is a 24F in the easy setup and in the audi/video settings and i selected everything but it still doesnt recognize it. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ASAP BECAUSE I AM DOING A SCHOOL PROJECT AND NEED HELP ASAP! THANK YOU!

-Dean
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #102
Regular Crew

Try your presets again. 24f HDV works fine on 5.1.2, but restart everything, change or reset all of your sequence, and file presets to hdv 24 and it will work fine. I'm having some issues with 24f SD, but that's a completely different story.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #103
Regular Crew

Canon A1 and syncing Final Cut -- HELP!

I have the 5.1.2 version of FCP on my mac and have the A1. I have shot in 60i and have uloaded footage fine. I then shot in 24F and uploaded my footage and noticed that the log and capture was a very long delay between the "log and capture" and my a1. When it was all imported the sound was completley off. The sound was awful and i had to move it manually but it still didnt sound good. WHY IS IT THAT IT IS NOT SYNCING CORRECTLY?! Someone help asap!
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Did you know 5.1.3 is available?

I've not encountered any issues with FCP with 25F myself. What are the specs of you machine? What have you got running at the same time as FCP?

If you provide more information you might get a quicker answer.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM   #105
Regular Crew

Nothing is running at all. I am importing 24F and the settings are on 1080p24. I dont understand. Everytime I import from my video camera while log and capture is on there is a major delay from FCP and the video camera. It imports out of sync and I have to manyally do it myself with the audio. PLEASE ANYBODY HELP!
Dean Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite