Canon XL & XH 24F, 25F, 30F capture in FCP / FCE - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #121
Regular Crew

Are you using "Capture Now" or do you have timecode in and out points set?

Larry Jordan advises on his tutorials there have been issues with sync using "Capture Now"
Geoff Dills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #122
Major Player

Capture now is to be avoided on the whole for the reasons Geoff/Larry mentioned and because it gets very confusing and potentially disastrous when you end up with thousands of clips called untitled. I tend to capture mine through batch capture in ten minute chunks(vaguely responding to the content of the tape), while FCP puts all the start/stop points into tidy clips. Very simple and easy on the heads. If you do want to capture the tape in one go put an in and out point at the begining and end and use either batch or clip settings rather than Capture Now.

I agree with Steve, sounds like your version of FCP needs to be upgraded to 5.1.4, or at least 5.1.2, then all you need to worry about is picking the right easy setup and everything will be fine. This is a free upgrade i believe?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #123
Trustee

I have FCP 5.1.4 abd aby time I ry to capture HDV, I only get the dialog that allows me to name the tape then it goes off and captures the entire tape.

I have yet to figure out how to get the log and capture window to come up while capturing HDV. What am I doing wrong?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #124
Tourist

As Chuck said, I only get the prompt to name the clip and then it captures the entire tape. I can't get the log and capture prompt either.
Adam Condal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #125
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Condal View Post
As Chuck said, I only get the prompt to name the clip and then it captures the entire tape. I can't get the log and capture prompt either.
Check the Capture Preset in Audio/Video Settings. It has to be HDV to get the log/capture window.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:59 AM   #126
Major Player

Setting up FCP to Edit from Canon XLH1 HDV

I did a search in this forum...so if answers to this exist somewhere else...please pardon the question and link me to that section.

I don't edit on FCP alot....but want to do a quck job.

I shot footage with my Canon XLH1. HDV...60i.

I have tried all kinds of "settings" in fcp...to capture. I finally (by accident) found a setting for the sequence and capture that allowed FCP to capture. There was no control of the camera...it just went into record. Ok. So when I drop it into the sequence....everything has to render. ARRRRG.

What are the correct settings for setting up a project in FCP to capture properly and then playback the footage without rendering ?

Also..fyi...seem FCP will only record ch. 1 &2....you can't get 3 & 4 unless you have an external capture card....firewire won't capture all 4 channels. Nice huh ?

Thanks for the help folks...
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:46 PM   #127
Regular Crew

Go to Final Cut Pro on the menu bar, pull down to easy setup.
In the dialogue box that opens, select the HDV size and framerate that matches your tape. This will set your log & capture and sequence settings. HDV only records 2 channels of audio, so no channels 3 & 4 on capture should not be an issue. To edit in HDV, you should use version 5.1.4 of Final Cut.
Dick Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #128
Major Player

Dick,

Thank you...but that doesn't work. I've tried every version of the HDV options in the Easy Setup. I'm running 5.1.4 of FCP....

I've captured footage from my Canon XLh1....it's straight forward HDV 1080 (really 1440) 60i material.

No matter what I do...the footage says it is unrendered. Any other ideas ?
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #129
Regular Crew

OK, that should have worked. Something is clearly not right here, as it should be easy if the mac you're on is set up right. You should have full control of the H1 from the log & capture window. Tried trashing your preferences yet? Have you tried setting up a new user account on the mac and capturing again?

If you drag one of the files you captured to QT Player and do a get movie info, it should tell you what you've got. If you mirror those settings in your FCP sequence, it should play without rendering.

I'm still a tyro at HDV, but have had FCP since version 1, and it really shouldn't be this hard. If anyone else out there has a better idea of what Kevin should do, please jump in here...
Dick Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #130
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana View Post
Dick,

Thank you...but that doesn't work. I've tried every version of the HDV options in the Easy Setup. I'm running 5.1.4 of FCP....

I've captured footage from my Canon XLh1....it's straight forward HDV 1080 (really 1440) 60i material.

No matter what I do...the footage says it is unrendered. Any other ideas ?
First you need to check and make sure your clip settings match your sequence. In the Bin, look at Frame Rate, Codec, Size, etc. Then go to your sequence (hit Command 0), and make sure the sequence settings make that of your clips. This should take care of the problems.

Also, the new Final Cut Studio allows any codec, frame rate, and resolution in the same timeline and it sets up the sequence based on the clip you drag to it, something to look into.

Also, try this, as stated above, go to Easy Setup, HDV - 1080/60i. That should allow capture, then delete whatever sequence you have and create a new one. There should be no problem.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #131
Major Player

Hi, It sound like the clip you recorded was in AIC. If you want to go down the HDV route, bin your existing capture and use the easy-setup for the HDV preset to match your camera.

Remember if FCP was open and there was already a sequence in the browser window, just selecting easy-setup won't change it. Add a new sequence after changing the easy-setup preset. Also 9 out of 10 times if you drag a clip captured into the sequence timeline and it needs rendering (red bar straight away) then your sequence settings/compressor codecs are not matching.

If you revel the original captured clip in the finder and open in quicktime and then do an 'Apple i' the movie info there is a little easier to follow then in FCP.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #132
Major Player

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Finally got it solved....yes the sequence that comes up when you open a new project...was NOT hdv. So by deleting it...then doing the Easy setup ...all works.

I just wish there was a way to digitize my channels 3 & 4 via firewire ....

Seems it only sees 1 and 2...and there is no way to even ...re-digitize the footage with just 3/4.

Any ideas ?....

Thanks again everyone.
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #133
Major Player

There is a way to capture channels 3 & 4, I used to do this on my XL2 but you have to capture all the footage again (just the audio not video).

See page 288 of the online manual.

I can't remember now, but I think you have to capture the audio under the DV setup otherwise channels 3 & 4 do not show up in the log & capture window.

I will look into it...
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #134
Regular Crew

FCP 6 can't capture from Canon XH A1

I've been using iMovie in the past to capture footage from my XHA1, but yesterday I got FCP6 and I thought capturing footage would've been as easy as with iMovie. But I just can't capture anything. I tried searching this forum for answers but I didn't find anything.
I can use the commands in FCP to make the camera play, ffw and rwd. But capturing doesn't work.
I created a bin, made it a logging bin and I gave my log a name (thus making an icon appear in my bin). I then tried clip, now and batch but they only give me a black screen. Pressing the play on the camera does nothing (camera won't play).
This is a fresh FCP6 install, so I don't know what I did wrong.

Hope someone can help me.
Jeremy Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #135
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Naus View Post
I've been using iMovie in the past to capture footage from my XHA1, but yesterday I got FCP6 and I thought capturing footage would've been as easy as with iMovie. But I just can't capture anything. I tried searching this forum for answers but I didn't find anything.
I can use the commands in FCP to make the camera play, ffw and rwd. But capturing doesn't work.
I created a bin, made it a logging bin and I gave my log a name (thus making an icon appear in my bin). I then tried clip, now and batch but they only give me a black screen. Pressing the play on the camera does nothing (camera won't play).
This is a fresh FCP6 install, so I don't know what I did wrong.

Hope someone can help me.
You say you can control the camera (play, ff, rw etc), and I suppose you get the picture in the logging window as you do?
If you get the image there, and click "Capture Now" while it's playing, you don't get anything?
Are you sure you have selected the right Easy setup?
Henrik Reach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite