DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Canon XL & XH 24F, 25F, 30F capture in FCP / FCE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/114345-canon-xl-xh-24f-25f-30f-capture-fcp-fce.html)

Gilbert Khoury April 20th, 2006 07:27 PM

Canon XL & XH 24F, 25F, 30F capture in FCP / FCE

FCP 5.1 (Universal) with Canon XLH1 24p

I have a Macbook pro laptop and the latest version of FCP 5.1 (Universal). The problem I have is that FCP 5.1 does not support HDV 24p I thought it will before I bought it when I choose Log and Capture. Is there a work around until Apple comes up with FCP 6 and hopefully it will solve the problem? I desperately need to capture the footage I shot on my Canon XLH1 in HDV 24p in FCP 5.1.

Please advise.

Gilbert.

Gilbert Khoury April 21st, 2006 09:28 AM

My question was very tough I called around and all the big vendors could not answer my question it is funny how these big companies over market HD but they don't have the technology to support it. Probably the wisest thing to stick to SD till the big vendors figure out in a couple of years the solution. But for now I am stuck with my HD camera and FCP 5.1. The only solution I was able to come up with is to capture the footage that I shot on my Canon XLH1 in 24p in iMovie which is very ironic because it is a low end editing tool but Final Cut Pro HD version could not capture it. Anyway, I was successful to capture the footage in iMovie and now I am in the process to convert it to Quicktime version and I am planning to edit in FCP 5.1 after that I will let you know how it goes. If anybody find a better solution let me know.

Cheers,

Gilbert.

Cole McDonald April 21st, 2006 09:52 AM

Even with SD, I do my captures with iMovie anyway. I don't have a DV deck, so I capture the whole tape, then cut the footage and put titlecard/slates in and export full quality to pull into FCP. It's a great way to do dailies and use as a capture/logging station.

Gilbert Khoury April 21st, 2006 11:36 AM

Thank you Cole for your reply. For me it seems it is not working with iMovie I was able to capture but when export to quick time with Full Quality option it freezes. I guess there is no solution for now we have to wait for the big vendors to come up with a solution.

Ronan Fournier April 25th, 2006 02:14 AM

Perhaps you should try HDVxDV demo. It captures 720 24p from JVC camcorder, so perhaps it will work in 1080 ?
http://www.dvdxdv.com/HDVxDVsite/download.html

Don Berube April 25th, 2006 09:48 AM

FCP v5.1 24F support is forthcoming

Apple has a workstation in the CanonDV booth at NAB, demonstrating a preview of the forthcoming update for FCP v5.1 which will natively support Canon's 24F Mode.

It works like a charm.

This update for Final Cut Pro v5.1 will appear as a free software download (for users who have updated to v5.1) under the "Software Update" menu in the Apple menu under Mac OS X.

While no ETA has been given for this update, one could assume that it is forthcoming in the near future.

- don

Heath McKnight April 25th, 2006 11:24 PM

Don,

Does that mean I need to go to Final Cut Studio for Intel Macs? Nuts...

heath

Cole McDonald April 26th, 2006 09:30 AM

The universal will work on PPC as well. It's a semi-nominal upgrade fee from FCP5.0

Gilbert Khoury April 26th, 2006 07:33 PM

Thank you Don for the update. I am looking forward to the patch hopefully it is going to be soon.

Cheers,

Gilbert.

Heath McKnight April 26th, 2006 09:26 PM

Everyone,

Let me re-phrase my post (I was VERY tired after an event at the local film festival):

Do I have to buy Final Cut for Intel Macs even though I have a Power Mac G5 Quad? Will I be able to get any sort of updates for FCP 5.0.4? Or do I need to have 5.1?

Thanks,

heath

Cole McDonald April 27th, 2006 06:53 AM

If you are currently on 5.0.4 and want to upgrade to 5.1, you will need to pay the upgrade price to do so. You will recieve the identical software that you would get if you were running an intel mac, the software is built to run on both hardware platforms, hence the name Universal.

Heath McKnight April 27th, 2006 08:25 AM

But will any updates to FCP be only for the Universal version, or will it also be for the 5.0 series (PowerPC version only)?

heath

Cole McDonald April 27th, 2006 08:29 AM

only Universal, the PPC only stuff will be no longer developed as it would take separate development teams to support both platforms. This is the same transition as from the 68k to the PPC. There were fat binaries around for years until most of the 68k macs had been upgraded and the rest became non-cost effective to support/develop for.

Heath McKnight April 27th, 2006 08:38 AM

Dang...I guess I have to upgrade, though I won't have an Intel Mac for at least another two years. Tiger has dual-updates for both Intel and PPC Macs...

heath

Cole McDonald April 28th, 2006 06:44 AM

Unless you're looking for a reason to upgrade, the software will run on both platforms...it's universal.