DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   SLOW Final Cut Studio install on New Mac Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/114774-slow-final-cut-studio-install-new-mac-pro.html)

Randall Brown February 13th, 2008 10:11 PM

SLOW Final Cut Studio install on New Mac Pro

Hmmm... Wondering if anyone else has found a super slow install time for FCS 2 on the new (Jan '08) Mac Pro. I got mine today (stock 8 core, with 320GB HD, 10GB of RAM). Final Cut Install is taking about 4 hours to complete. On my C2D MBP it took 1 hour. This is crazy. The rest of the computer seems responsive, its still installing so I can't run a speed test yet, but wanted to see if anyone else had found this?

David McGiffert February 13th, 2008 10:21 PM

Randell,

I got my FCS2 install done for me by ProMax when they configured
my Mac Pro...close to yours, not as much RAM.

Their tech guys told me that 3 to 4 hours is not unusual for an
install...since I didn't do it myself I don't know that for sure
but thought I would pass it along...fwiw.

David

Randall Brown February 14th, 2008 08:26 AM

well everything installed fine and is running pretty good now. AJA speed test said the drive was 64MB/s read and write, and hardware test passed everything. So I guess there is something quirky going on. Will monitor.

Greg Boston February 14th, 2008 08:30 AM

That's about right for a full install with all the extra media. Perhaps on your MBP install you chose not to install all he extra stuff that would clobber your HD space.

-gb-

Martin Pauly February 14th, 2008 10:46 AM

I did a full install on a new MacBook Pro a couple of months ago, and it took several hours. I can't tell you how long exactly, I wasn't exactly sitting next to it, watching it the whole time, but it definitely wasn't just one hour.

- Martin

Dino Leone February 14th, 2008 04:58 PM

Installing the entire FCS 2 package including then all the updates does take a long time. I made disk images of all the install discs onto one large hard drive (using Disk Utility) and I also put all the updater images into the same folder. Now, when I have to do a reinstall, I mount all those disk images and installation is much much faster (it's around 30% the time it took from the DVDs). I think this is very well worth the space or so it takes, considering FCS needs to be reinstalled every now and then (very untypical Apple). In addition, all the updaters are there too.

Best,
Dino

Henrik Reach February 15th, 2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Brown (Post 826028)
Hmmm... Wondering if anyone else has found a super slow install time for FCS 2 on the new (Jan '08) Mac Pro. I got mine today (stock 8 core, with 320GB HD, 10GB of RAM). Final Cut Install is taking about 4 hours to complete. On my C2D MBP it took 1 hour. This is crazy. The rest of the computer seems responsive, its still installing so I can't run a speed test yet, but wanted to see if anyone else had found this?

Took forever for me too.. I thought there was something wrong with my optical drive, but it seems to be working fine. Both FCS2 and Logic Studio took forever. Guess I'm just not used to waiting that long for stuff.. hehe It took a long time on my old Power Mac too though, just didn't remember it as being as slow.

I don't believe it took 1 hour with a full install from DVD's on your MBP though..