DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   HDV and Batch Capture (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/114821-hdv-batch-capture.html)

Matthew Pugerude February 14th, 2008 12:27 PM

HDV and Batch Capture

I have Final Cut Studio 2 on Leopard with all the latest updates on a Mac Pro 8 core with 6 gig's of Ram. I had some footage that was logged manually on to a piece of paper ( Don't laugh I just did not feel like sitting in front of my computer).

So when it came time to get to work I logged all the footage into FCP and made my clips in the bin with all the right log names and file names. I then set up a Batch capture but FCP would search to the right spot but then it would just keep backing up the tape and then search again. Now here is the weird thing it did capture some of the tapes but not all of them. The ones that did capture were ones that were recorded in regen timecode but the ones that I always had problems with were the ones with preset timecode.

Things I have tried
Changed Firewires
Changed Firewire ports
Changed camera's

David McGiffert February 14th, 2008 12:33 PM

Matthew,

Have you tried just capturing the whole tape using the 'capture now'
button? Then discard the clips that aren't on your list.
If this is HDV footage, I think that's the only way you can capture.

But there are other minds on here that may know better.

all the best,

David

Andrew Kimery February 14th, 2008 02:28 PM

Do the clips have enough pre-roll? I think the default setting in FCP is 5 seconds.

-A

Benjamin Eckstein February 14th, 2008 02:37 PM

Matthew,
This is something I ran into when I started editing HDV. Nothing is wrong with your gear. I work with a producer who paper edits and I used to just type in her logs and batch capture. With DV that was all hunky dory but it just doesn't work with HDV. I think it has to do with pre-roll because some clips would capture if the section was in the middle of a recorded section. In the end I would either just manually go to the shot and press play then hit capture now (which is kind of annoying) or just capture the whole tape.

BE

Matthew Pugerude February 15th, 2008 10:00 PM

Benjamin
I could accept your response if none of the tapes captured with the batch capture function but that is not the case. So I think it had to do with the function of splitting the clip on record breaks. I thought I disabled it but I must not have done it right can someone tell me how to do it?

Andrew there was plenty of pre-roll in the tapes I mean like 30 minutes of pre-roll. That is why I think the split on record break is the problem.

Matt

Steve Oakley February 17th, 2008 12:49 PM

are you tapes 24P ? specifically JVC 720 24P ?

why?

because FCP has a BAD BAD TC BUG - it sees 24fps TC as 30 !

if you have any I or O points greater then 23 frames, FCP will try to cue the deck and never find the frame because its not really there. it can't find frame 26. what is going on is that after frame 10, FCP starts adding frames to the actual frame number so that frame 23=29, 22=26 and so on. problem is this same kulge doesn't get applied when prerolling or incrementing by frame to cue up for capture. talk about dumb stupid wrong.

Brett Sherman March 3rd, 2008 11:11 AM

This is typical for some HDV decks (the lower end Sony ones). The same thing happens with my M15U. It's a hardware problem not a software problem

The fix is to go into the HDV deck menu and change the FF/REW speed to "ShuttleMax" instead of FF/REW. It takes longer to cue up the tape, but it'll find the locations.

Matthew Pugerude March 3rd, 2008 11:38 AM

Thanks

Thank you Brett. I am using a consumer camera to do capturing any ideas on what to do about that. I really don't think that the camera that I am using (canon HV10) has that function. But I will look into it.

Matt