Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Compressor settings: uncompressed, mac + win streaming

Hi all,

I'm shooting a project next week for a client who will stream this on the web. The client wants 1 file as uncompressed as possible, as well as two that will work for streaming over the net (compatible with both mac and pc or 1 for each). It will be a 20-30min final cut, possible cut into 5 segments for streaming.

What are the best setting to use on compressor for output?

Also, what are the best timeline settings on FCP?

I'll be shooting it with 2 Canon XL-2s on miniDV tape, at 24p 16x9.

peace.
-Jonathan Scruggs

Last edited by Jonathan Scruggs; February 16th, 2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe to thread
Jonathan Scruggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #2
New Boot

hate to bump the thread, but anybody got any clues?

I realize there is no such thing as "uncompressed" video unless you're willing to invest a lot of money into it, b ut the client wants something that will be easy to work with later and something that is as lossless as possible. I'm under the impression that the conventional wisdom is that DV is the best codec for this type of thing, but my impression of videos that I've encode to DV is that they are HUGE first of all, and that they look kind of "lossy."

Also, I know Mpeg2 is the standard for DVD, so would that be a good option?

Thanks again for all the tips!
Jonathan Scruggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #3
Major Player

For the one clip that is as uncompressed as possible I would recommend if your using FCP is just export a sequence using export using quicktime movie and use the sequence settings. This is fast and will give you a quicktime that is completely native to what you captured in. I use this for when people need to bring me their sequence and export it to a deck via SDI. If you are using a dv, HDV or DVCpro you are gonna have a pretty manageable file too which will be around 10 gigs an hour.

For streaming I would recommend flash and if don't have a flash encoder then try H.264. I think flash will be a lot better if you plan on streaming it and don't want it ripped plus it makes things really small without sacrificing a lot when it comes to the image.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite