DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   10.5.2 update issues everyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/115424-10-5-2-update-issues-everyone.html)

Kaku Ito February 21st, 2008 08:56 PM

10.5.2 update issues everyone?

I've been having terrible time with 10.5.2 update.

My mobile account on my Mac Pro (that means the real account is on the Xserve then synced on local drive for faster access) got damaged upon updating process of 10.5.2 got stuck in the middle.

I had to reinstall the OS, reinstall most of the application and manually transfer my files for mail, iPhoto, iWeb that uses inconsistent ways of storing data (it was a nightmare).

Then I ran into problem where Compressor won't show the project window no matter what (this could be because I used some of the library files from the old system), so I had to reinstall everything then I found out the admin account I set had some broken files, so I reinstalled everything, made the main account as something else then now pretty much they work okay.

But I'm noticing now that if I switch login account and try to access FCP project and it would come back saying "this project is created with later version of FCP" and can't open. This is happening on both Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro with 10.5.2.

It seems to me that all of the apps now has to adopt the changes Apple made with 10.5.2.

I hear from developer how terrible Apple is with bugs lately.

I'm worried because I have many broadcast accounts that I sell Macs to.
It seems Apple is not taking the pro market seriously with more reliable ways.

Robert Lane February 21st, 2008 10:40 PM

We've had no trouble with any of our Mac's with both the QT 7.4 and 10.5.2 updates. All apps and functions are normal.

I've found in my years of consulting with the Mac community, that just like with Windows most systems that come up with bugs after updates are the ones that don't have routine system maintenance done - on a regular basis, not just when trouble comes calling.

There have been times when even the most robustly maintained system becomes prey to a goofed-up update (this happened recently with the QT update from 7.2 to 7.3) and it's true that of late Apple's OS and app updates have seen more trouble reports than in the past, but I'm also seeing more and more systems that are being neglected with respect to maintenance.

For some reason, most people assume that as the OS evolves that it requires less and less maintaining, but that's just not the case.

In this case, Kaku, the fact that you were migrating old library/system files from old-to-new versions could explain the heart of why you had version upgrade issues. My guess is that if you've done a clean install of both the OS, received the updates then installed all the pro apps you should be OK.

Kaku Ito February 22nd, 2008 05:13 AM

Robert,

Thank you for your thoughts. Over 20 years of selling macintosh as system integrator, I've done all of the things you mentioned but this happened.

I think it is the mobile account issue. Have you used it before?

This system WAS fresh installed 10.5.1, I did the old library migration AFTER I had issue with 10.5.2 update because there was nothing else I could do.

I regularly maintain my system and luckily have back ups.

One thing I didn't mentioned was that I had the REDcode installed. Hmmmm.

Robert Lane February 22nd, 2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito (Post 830754)
One thing I didn't mentioned was that I had the REDcode installed. Hmmmm.

Right, apparently RED is having issues with QT 7.4 and recommend only 7.3 (not even the .1 updater), so that too could have been a core problem.

Kaku Ito February 22nd, 2008 08:51 PM

Robert,

Getting 7.3 installer is pits isn't it (since the security hole issue)?
But I'm guessing it could be more with the mobile account issue than anything else. It did weird things before. It was very convenient, but now I stopped using. Others in Japan report bugs with 10.5.2, so it could be international language issue, too.