Midi synthesizer plugin for Final Cut? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Midi synthesizer plugin for Final Cut?

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but for occasional mood ambiance music in a doc I'm working on, I'd like to be able to do this in Final Cut, rather than recording in Logic Pro and transferring; does anyone know of a Midi Synth plugin for Final cut?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn View Post
This probably sounds like a dumb question, but for occasional mood ambiance music in a doc I'm working on, I'd like to be able to do this in Final Cut, rather than recording in Logic Pro and transferring; does anyone know of a Midi Synth plugin for Final cut?
Right tool for the right job. FCP is not the place you should (or can) compose/record audio (other than the VO tool). For that, you need an audio tool like Logic Pro/Express, Garageband, etc.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
Right tool for the right job. FCP is not the place you should (or can) compose/record audio (other than the VO tool). For that, you need an audio tool like Logic Pro/Express, Garageband, etc.
Mike, I'm not sure that I can agree with you. I'm not suggesting a full blown composing plgin, but a means to add samples, midi effects, single swells, etc, which from a workflow perspective, would be perfect.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:08 PM   #4
Trustee

sound track pro is what you want, and its included with the FCP studio bundle with enough basic samples to turn some decent stuff out. used soundtrack to score a piece for a car company using its supplied samples
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
sound track pro is what you want
Not necessarily. Unless it has changed since FCS1, it is a glorified sample playback device. If all you want to do is loop and layer some samples, then it does a fine job at that. However, it is not a tool for musical composition or recording, which is what I believe Greg is looking for. (EDIT: I saw this before Greg's second post. Considering what his response was, i think you are right that STP is what he needs to do what he wants.)

Layering someone else's pre-made samples is not the same as scoring, the same way a DJ is not a musician. I'll use STP for something quick, if need be... but for any real scoring -- like two short films I am currently scoring for -- it is about composing every single note myself, and essentially performing each of those notes (via sequencing, of course) in a tool like (in my case) Logic.

Last edited by Mike Barber; February 24th, 2008 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
Mike Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Quinn View Post
Mike, I'm not sure that I can agree with you. I'm not suggesting a full blown composing plgin, but a means to add samples, midi effects, single swells, etc, which from a workflow perspective, would be perfect.
Ah, didn't see this one till after Steve's reply...

If that is what you are looking for, again... right tool for the right job. And Steve is right that Soundtrack Pro is going to be what you are looking for.

To bundle that type of functionality right into the editor is silly. Sure, my workflow may be slightly simplified if my hammer could also strip wires, but it doesn't really make any sense to do that.

Having the audio filters in FCP is as much audio bells and whistles that needs or should be in there. It's an editor.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite