DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV Export for Projection + Link

Hi Everyone,

I have a project that I've edited in HDV in FCS2. It's 24p. I'm exporting it so that I can play that file from a MacBookPro to an HD projector, and I'm trying to get the highest-quality file possible, while keeping the file small enough for the laptop to play it without problems.

The project is just under 2 minutes.

Right now I'm exporting using QuickTime Conversion, and using HDV 1080p24 as my compression type.

The file looks OK as far as quality. But is there a better way to do this, and get better quality?

You can see the low-quality web version here: http://www.epicearthcare.org/Video.html

Ignore some of the edit mistakes. It's an few versions old, and all the editing/audio issues have been fixed.

Thanks!
Katie Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Katie,

Just export as Quicktime Movie and keep it self-contained. Its the option above "QUICKTIME CONVERSION" in FCP.

That will give you the exact same settings as how you have set your sequence.

Somebody pls correct me if im in error.

Cheers

WeeHan
Yeo Wee Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Major Player

But be careful with that, it is "uncompressed" and good for importing. But I've noticed on some computers it looks extra bad (unwatchable!). On my powerbook it looks great but on my new imac, and PCs it's bad.
The point is take a part of the video and export quicktime conversion H264. Max out the quality and compare. Honestly on some computers it looks much better. Just a heads up.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Katie,

Your file doesn't actually play; there might be a problem with the uploaded version.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Katie,
I have experienced the same issues as you, I think that you are not getting a smooth play back, correct, when trying to watch it on the projector. I think that the issue is the video card. I have a 2.33 MacBook Pro and it will not play HDV back smoothly. And I have tried everything with no luck. A friend of mine has the newest 2.4 with a different video card and he has no issue even with the same files. My only suggestion is to lower the resolution, which I know is what you are not wanting to do.
Best of Luck
Brandon
Brandon Potthoff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite