DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Duplicate frames. Please help?

I am working in a 23.98 timline with footage from an XL2 and an HV20. The XL2 footage that I reverse telecined in cinema tools looks fantastic in the timeline, the HV20 footage that I rev. tele. in compressor has duplicate frames. They appear to be very random but on average I'd say that they appear every 84-85 frames. It also appears that there may be some missing frames.

When I reverse telecined the footage in compressor, I used a frame rate of 23.976. Could this be the culprit? Should I have just rounded it up to 23.98?

Please help!

Ryan
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm a little confused about this reverse telecine thing. Do you mean capture/export?
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Not capture or export. When working with footage that is shot in 24P the camera actually records 29.97 interlaced with a 2:3:2:3 pulldown (non advanced). To remove this pulldown so that the end result is 24 or 23.98 progressive fps, you must go through a process that is called reverse telecine.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
footage that is shot in 24P the camera actually records 29.97 interlaced with a 2:3:2:3 pulldown
For clarity sake, we should note that some cameras do this, not all. It is important to be aware of whether the camera you are using uses pulldown (and what kind) or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
To remove this pulldown so that the end result is 24 or 23.98 progressive fps, you must go through a process that is called reverse telecine.
For Advanced pulldown (2:3:3:2), reverse telecine is not required. There are two other options, which are much less of a headache: removing pulldown while capturing, or removing after the fact via the Remove Advanced Pulldown command under the Tools menu.

However, Ryan specified he has footage that is using the non-advanced pulldown...
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Mike, you are correct in all areas. My major problem is that the pulldown is not flagged by the camera. This has made it very difficult to rev. telecine. If anybody knows how to rev. telecine un-flagged 24P 2:3:2:3 footage, I would be eternally grateful.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite