DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   is the "missing render files" issue in FCP6 fixed yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/116943-missing-render-files-issue-fcp6-fixed-yet.html)

Greg Quinn March 13th, 2008 05:27 PM

is the "missing render files" issue in FCP6 fixed yet?

Hi;
I'm not interested in upgrading to FCS2 until the missing renderfiles issues has been patched - has Apple released a fix yet?
Thanks
Greg

Ken Civian March 13th, 2008 07:48 PM

missing render files??

I'm using FCS2 and have all my render files. I wasn't aware there was something that needed top be fixed.

Andy Mees March 13th, 2008 07:57 PM

the "Lost Render Files for Duplicated Sequences" issue was patched in the 6.02 update (14/11/07)
http://www.apple.com/support/release...ut_Pro_6.0_rn/

Tom Vandas March 14th, 2008 03:09 AM

Hi Greg, I'm using FCP 6.02 since about Christmas, and have had no lost render files. Hope that helps.

Robert Lane March 14th, 2008 08:32 AM

FCP 6.0.2 with QT 7.4 has been running stable since it's install on our system. There was a bug that cropped up with QT 7.3 and was resolved.

A word of caution: If you do finally upgrade to FCP 6 *do not* to an *upgrade* install, in fact you're almost guaranteed to have issues if you don't first wipe your OS drive and start off completely fresh. Go to the Apple discussions forum and look in the Final Cut Pro section, you'll see literally dozens of posts from people who did the *upgrade* install and ended up with a plethora of issues.

And if you really want to take full advantage of all the new features, and the faster render/encoding times then install Leopard (clean install) also.

Lastly, we've put FCP 6/QT 7.4 through it's paces with a massive project recently and thrown every possible scenario at FCP with zero issues; we're "locking" our system and not doing any further updates to either FCP, QT or any other app. The past 2 years has proven that "updates" whether it's for the OS or apps most often cause more problems then they typically solve. So unless we decide to purchase new software that requires an update we don't have or, if Apple releases updates that actually add new features we want we're simply not allowing any more "updates" - that is until we're forced to do it because of compatibility issues.

Do a clean install of both the OS and FCPS2 and you'll have a very solid, worthy edit suite.

Greg Quinn March 14th, 2008 12:27 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies, they're much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 842410)
A word of caution: If you do finally upgrade to FCP 6 *do not* to an *upgrade* install, in fact you're almost guaranteed to have issues if you don't first wipe your OS drive and start off completely fresh.

Robert, thanks for this warning; it's a dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned. One shouldn't have to wipe the root drive in order to install new software - this application sounds far from being primetime ready, regardless of how stable it is on a clean install.

John Moon March 14th, 2008 12:51 PM

What is the approach in wiping the old version off. Does this create any issues with existing unfinished projects?
Thanks

Mike Barber March 14th, 2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Quinn (Post 842530)
One shouldn't have to wipe the root drive in order to install new software

That's the nature of software and is far from being exclusive to FCP or OS X. In a perfect world updates and upgrades would be a simple thing, but software only gets more complex (under the hood), not less. Avid stability is just as fragile (on a Mac or PC). Any software that is as demanding of every resource the computer has, such as Avid/FCP, is going to be that way.

Mike Barber March 14th, 2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

One shouldn't have to wipe the root drive in order to install new software

You don't have to do a rebuild in order to have a stable install. I believe Robert was recommending that as a "best practice" for insurance of a stable system.

I started with FCP 4 a few years ago, and have only done a rebuild once -- and that was when I was upgrading my system HDD, thus took the opportunity to start fresh. But I have yet to experience any stability issues with FCP (*knock on wood*). So, it's not mandatory.

Tom Vandas March 14th, 2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

...it's a dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned. One shouldn't have to wipe the root drive in order to install new software - this application sounds far from being primetime ready, regardless of how stable it is on a clean install.

Hi Greg, I'd respectfully encourage you to reconsider; I have found the open timeline and ProRes to be well worth the trouble, especially when I get all kinds of material from clients.

Truth is, I also follow the same guidelines set out above by Robert. A clean install of major upgrades has been Apple advice as far as I can remember (FCP1.2), it's really the only way to ensure a stable system.

But, I hate trashing my old system until I know the new one works. So, I have two system drives, one holds the original stuff, the other has the clean install. `Then I don't have to transition immediately.

My 2¢ worth...

Robert Lane March 14th, 2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

...it's a dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned. One shouldn't have to wipe the root drive in order to install new software - this application sounds far from being primetime ready, regardless of how stable it is on a clean install.

At the risk of sounding condescending, that's a general-consumer attitude when it comes to a major app change.

Unlike other apps that don't require massive system resources, video editing software literally lives in all the key areas of the OS and becomes an integral part of the software environment, just as Quicktime does. FCP6 has literally changed it's underpinnings in areas of media management, plug-ins and other key elements that allow it to do it's job, so it's unwise and risky to assume that the upgrade-install path will go without a hitch.

There's not one system integrator or AV consultant on the planet worth their money that would recommend an *upgrade* path for any professional video application regardless of vendor. Apple, Avid, Sony, Quantel... you name it they all say the same thing when making a *version* update - start off with a fresh install of the OS it lives on.

Many people have used the upgrade path for many generations without issue, but those instances are few and far between.