DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Processor Speed or RAM?

OK, I've got two recommendations on the MAC PRO regarding Processor and RAM and they are conflicting! Any opinion on this? I told them we plan on going with the PMW-EX1 Solid State HD Camera from Sony.

1st Configuration:
Dual 3.2 Quad Cores
16GB RAM (Company states that if the processors need help in anyway, they will ask the RAM to help perform complex operation such as rendering and compressing)
Nvidia 8800GT Graphics Card

2nd Configuration:
Dual 3.0 Quad Cores
4GB RAM (Company states that FCP has a set limit of how much RAM it will actually use and this is only good if I am running a bunch of programs at the same time which we won't be. Anything more is money that should be spent on other equipment)

Which is more in line with what we're doing?
I always thought the RAM was for multiple apps but I may be wrong!
I need help!!!!
Kurt Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Heim View Post
OK, I've got two recommendations on the MAC PRO regarding Processor and RAM and they are conflicting! Any opinion on this? I told them we plan on going with the PMW-EX1 Solid State HD Camera from Sony.

1st Configuration:
Dual 3.2 Quad Cores
16GB RAM (Company states that if the processors need help in anyway, they will ask the RAM to help perform complex operation such as rendering and compressing)

2nd Configuration:
Dual 3.0 Quad Cores
4GB RAM (Company states that FCP has a set limit of how much RAM it will actually use and this is only good if I am running a bunch of programs at the same time which we won't be. Anything more is money that should be spent on other equipment)

I agree with the recommendation for the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB. I don't know about the "set limit of how much RAM" FCP will use. I would certainly want to get a second opinion (from Apple, if possible) about that. I disagree with the recommendation for the 3.0 Quad Cores, and I base that on my findings when looking into the ratio between cost and performance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
Looking at the MacWorld Benchmark Test, it appears that there is a minimal advantage to springing for the upgrade from the dual-2.8GHz configuration. MacWorld testers found "the new 3.2GHz Mac Pro to be nearly 9 percent faster than the stock, 2.8GHZ 8-core Mac Pro."

9% increase in performance... for a 55.2% increase in cost! Hardly what I would call a healthy ROI.
The cost just isn't worth it. Much better putting that money towards RAM, a KONA card, a broadcast monitor, or another important piece of gear. Even though you have a fat budget for equipment, you still want to make sure you maximize those dollars and I think Config. 1 does that more than Config. 2

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115092
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike and everyone for some opinions!

This is what it might look like at this point:

Dual 2.8 Processors
16GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GT Graphics
(1) 320GB Apple Internal Drive for apps, (2) Internal Seagate Barracude .11 500GB or 750GB Drives
(2) External G-Tech GRAID2 1TB Drives
(2) 23" Apple Cinema Displays
(1) 32" or 37" LCD HDTV Flat Panel Monitor (does this matter if it is 720P or should I move up to a 1080P?)
Blackmagic HD card
Still haven't made up my mind on speakers yet!
I need a good power conditioner/battery backup to protect this stuff also!

This stuff is too hard to decide on.
Kurt Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
(1) 32" or 37" LCD HDTV Flat Panel Monitor (does this matter if it is 720P or should I move up to a 1080P?)
If you're going to be using the EX1 cams in HQ at 1080p then you won't get to see the full glory of it on a 720p monitor (though it will still look amazing!). If you've got the bucks to go 1080p, then go 1080p... however this is just a TV we're talking about, right?

You may want to consider a broadcast monitor. I've only worked with Sony LUMA LCD (see here and here), which I liked.

One could credibly argue that springing for a broadcast monitor over an HDTV is maybe a bit overkill if you aren't working on actual projects actually meant for broadcast, however it is the best tool for colour correcting. I don't have one personally (I can't afford one... at least, not yet), and I have been able to calibrate my Samsung LCD HDTV pretty darn well, if I do say so myself... but if I had room for it in my budget, it would certainly be a priority. And if you have a $30k budget, you more likely than not have room for one even after your Mac Pro, EX1s, audio and lighting gear, and accessories.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Mike and everyone for some opinions!

[...]

This stuff is too hard to decide on.
Oh, that's not necessary. My consulting fee is all the thanks I need.

;-}D
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Mike,

Yeah, It will be a TV and I would like to use it as my monitor. I think I'm going to get the 1080p, that way if we do any 1080p stuff for tradeshow digital signage, we'll be able to preview in the way it will be displayed.

The other reason I want to go to a larger screen like a 32"-37" is that whenever the executives or anybody else stops by and asks how their project is going, you can invite them in and show them on a screen with a little bit of real estate.

Kurt
Kurt Heim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite