DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 20th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Some help needed to clean up sound

I am currently editing an interview which i filmed outside a week or two ago. On the day it was kind of windy so there is a bit of noise created by the wind. I am wondering does anyone have any links which deal with how to fix your sound when it is windy or else if they have a link which explains what the different audio filters do so that i can try figure it out that way.

The sound was recorded on an xh a1 using the rode ntg2 if that helps.
Mark Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Major Player

you can try a noise filter, using just some wind noise as the sample, but it's not gonna be easy.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm a big fan of the high shelf filter. I guess it would really depend on the actual range you need to limit, but for most of my background noise issues it seems to do the job.

Wind is tricky though, since it doesn't just pick a small range of frequencies to play in.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

The best and easiest automated process/filter for removing any unwanted noise is "SoundSoap 2" from Bias.

http://bias-inc.com/products/soundSoap2/

We use this almost exclusively in our commercial productions unless we need a bit-for-bit noise removal, then we send the file to an audio-specialty post house for cleanup - at $450 per hour.

Like any shelf or "removal" tool it can take out more than you want and takes a experimenting to really get the feel, but once you've got it dialed-in you'll be amazed at what it can do.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've had this exact problem. There is no magic "press a button" and viola, wind noise is gone. The best you hope for is to reduce the wind noise.

Filters do what they are named for. They "filter" out sound frequencies. If the frequency of the "noise" is the same as your vocals or whatever it is you care about, the frequencies will be removed from them too.

My experience with Soap is that if you have a constant noise, it does a very good job but if you have a noise that varies (e.g. a gust of wind), it's asking too much of Soap and you really need to work at the audio track piece by piece. Even still, the controls on Soap are great for the non-audio engineer and give you a fighting chance at zeroing in on the problem areas and scrubbing it a bit. I believe Soundtrack Pro can do the same filtering as Soap but I have no experience with it.

One workflow a music engineer showed me was to normalize the whole audio recording, then Soap it and then re-Freq it to soup up your recording. Re-Soap as needed.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest House View Post
I've had this exact problem. There is no magic "press a button" and viola, wind noise is gone.
You're picking up noises of a viola with wind?
That must be bad.

:-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Most symphony violinists have the same problem, viola and wind noises!

:-)
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi guys, i would just like to say thanks for the help with this. i tried using the filter to cancel out one kind of noise but it didnt work too well because the wind is not constant so in the end i used a high pass filter and lowered the bass a bit as well. I am gonna experiment a bit more and see if i can get any better results.
Mark Doherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite