how compositing with FCS2 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Major Player

how compositing with FCS2 ?

Before FCS2, the solution for compositing was aftereffect or shake. What is the official way now ?
Is motion the solution ?
Is it in Color ?

Is is still a better solution to use AE ?

I need to remove some landscapes through a window, for example, and don't know what is the best way for me, nowing I have a good experience with Color, and fewer with Motion.

Thanks.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Try this

Hi Sebastien:

Please take a look at the fourth clip down on this page. I did and was blown away but how good this key looked. Getting a clean edge is something any good keyer can do. But getting your subject to match an environment without being a compositing wizard? Very tough. I am going to try this software.

http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.ph...p3&sub=samples

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Trustee

color is NOT a compositior.

motion is a medicore compositor at best. - with some BIG BUGs - like when you send clips to motion, they loose TC and reel data. if you ever need to reload clips sent to motion from the FCP TL, your totally screwed.

AE is a somewhat better compositor

Shake and combustion kick a$$ for VFX compositing.

there is no "official" way, only what works best. use the right tool for the job and thats about it.

the next question is , are you dealing with lock off shots ( easy ) or moving shots ? if you have moving shots its Monet or mocha for tracking, then composite in AE / combustion / shake.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Major Player

There's a trial version of Shake available. As Steve said, it's a very powerful program - be prepared for a steep learning curve.

If you want to try Shake, don't install the trial and just play with it, hoping to like what you find. Instead, get a good book or watch the lynda.com tutorial videos, and then use the trial version to follow the training.

- Martin
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
If you want to try Shake, don't install the trial and just play with it, hoping to like what you find. Instead, get a good book or watch the lynda.com tutorial videos, and then use the trial version to follow the training.
Martin's advice is sound. Shake is not like any other app you've worked with. The Apple Pro series of books from Peachpit Press are excellent.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite