DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Switching From PC To Mac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/117868-switching-pc-mac.html)

Erwin van Dijck April 4th, 2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 853590)
Then you use the MXF files in XDCAM Transfer (get the latest 2.5.1 version) to create QT files for FCP. You can invoke XDCAM Transfer from within FCP by using File-Import-XDCAM. Then, when you choose the material in XDCAM Transfer, it will give you the option of importing to whichever project or projects you have open in FCP.
-gb-

Hi Greg,

I managed to get this far but the workflow just doesn't work out right, here is what happens, maybe you have a suggestion:

I have clips imported from the EX camera by the Sony browser tool and rewrapped to MXF. This was done on my previous PC. In the mean time I switched to Mac and the MXF files are useless now. I can however use the Transfer tool 2.5.1 from within FCP to 'import from sony xdcam', open a folder with MXF files and import. But they end up as 2560x1080 pixel clips! They should be 1920x1080... and the contrast is off to the dark side but that is a minor thing.

The preview window in the transfer tool already shows the clip stretched though it says ' frame size: 1920x1080' and 'aspect ratio: 16:9' ...

regards,
Erwin

Daniel Alexander April 4th, 2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Rice (Post 853973)
So what if I am out shooting with my EX1 and after I fill up my SxS cards, I need to dump the footage into my PC laptop via the clip browser software, will those files then be unusable on my Mac?

In that case what you would do is copy the BPAV folder to your pc (by accessing the sxs card from my computer), and not use the transfer tool to create mxf files. This way you can open/wrap the original files on both a mac and pc.

James Brill April 4th, 2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Rice (Post 853412)

James, in regards to question #9 were you suggesting that I edit and render at 720x480 60i?

I would edit in HD since most of your footage is and it is what people want. 1080i or 720p60i, it depends on what the station broadcasts in. I believe Fox and ABC are 720p60i while Discovery and History Channel are at 1080i. Either way you are going to online it at 60i whatever resolution. I would also recommend editing and onlining in 1080i. One problem you might run into is that the 24p stuff that has been pulled down won't have the same timecode in the timeline as it does on the tape so batch capturing for the online session might be a hassle.

Dana Rice April 6th, 2008 01:57 AM

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I have one more question... I am trying to convert all my .avi stuff into quicktime files, I tried first with Vegas and Premiere and had no luck with either... a 100 mb avi file would come out to be like a 2 gb QT file and would play extremely choppy. Then I tried Canopus procoder and it worked pretty well... 100 mb avi file would convert to a 100 mb QT file, however, while the video does look pretty good, it doesn't look as good as the avi file. Mainly the colors look a bit washed out, I find that if I adjust the contrast in QT this corrects that, so basically I'm a bit confused as to weather or not it is the conversion of avi to QT that is causing this change in color to my video or if it is simply the default setting of the QT player. It should be noted that I have both QuickTime and Windows Media Player at the default settings for color, brightness, contrast, and tint. In addition to the color change, there is also a noticable amount of horizontal line artifacting that was not present in the avi files.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct these problems? Oh, and just out of curiousity, do wav files work on Macs?