DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Workflow Question: HDV->DV->HDV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/117963-workflow-question-hdv-dv-hdv.html)

Brian Morris March 27th, 2008 09:53 PM

Workflow Question: HDV->DV->HDV

My question is: Is it possible in FCP to use the DV timeline's timecode to recapture the footage in HDV once I am back at the studio in order to create an HD timeline? Similar to an off-line edit?

Here is the situation:

We have our first wedding using our brand new A1's coming up on Apr 5th. Of course, we will also scheduled a Same Day Edit for this one because we are crazy like that.

So here is what I am thinking. I am going to use the HV20 to capture and downconvert into the MBP and edit the SDE. I am going to downconvert for sake of render times since I like to put an effect or two on the footage and render it out to DVD.

But I would like to have the SDE in HD to post on Vimeo and on my website (and eventually to put on a Blu-Ray disc when Steve Jobs feels I am ready). So it is as easy as recapturing the files at full res?

I think that makes sense?!

Robert Lane March 27th, 2008 10:03 PM

What you're proposing is actually creating far more work for zero benefit. If you downconvert your footage to DV then you're throwing away both color and resolution - you can't get that back.

If you have FCS2/FCP6 the best possible workflow is to capture your footage into the ProRes codec, make your edits then output back to HDV if needed.

Check out the plethora of whitepapers on the Apple website about exactly how to do this and it's also in the online help in FCP6.

If you don't have FCP6 then capture and edit in HDV.

Mike Barber March 27th, 2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Morris (Post 849774)
My question is: Is it possible in FCP to use the DV timeline's timecode to recapture the footage in HDV once I am back at the studio in order to create an HD timeline? Similar to an off-line edit?

What version of FCP are you using?

What you are saying makes sense to me, and I believe it works in theory... should be just like following the SD off-/on-line workflow. You should be able to edit in SD on a DV timeline, then use Media Manager to create an HDV version for recapturing the clips.

I can only say in theory, because I have yet to try it... it is my plan to do this for a short film I will be editing in April. It was shot HDV, but I have an aged G4 PowerMac that isn't up to the task. The idea is to edit in DV and then find a way to conform to HDV when/if we get the chance...

Brian Morris March 27th, 2008 10:18 PM

Robert...

The benefit is render time for effects in FC and render time when outputting the file to DVDSP so that I can show the video by the end of dinner at the reception.

Brian Morris March 27th, 2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Barber (Post 849787)
What version of FCP are you using?

What you are saying makes sense to me, and I believe it works in theory... should be just like following the SD off-/on-line workflow. You should be able to edit in SD on a DV timeline, then use Media Manager to create an HDV version for recapturing the clips.

I can only say in theory, because I have yet to try it... it is my plan to do this for a short film I will be editing in April. It was shot HDV, but I have an aged G4 PowerMac that isn't up to the task. The idea is to edit in DV and then find a way to conform to HDV when/if we get the chance...

I have FCP 6.0.2.

That is exactly what I am talking about. I may need to experiment with it to find out if it is possible and what the best workflow is. I thought I would ask to see if anyone had any could give any pointers.

Mike Barber March 27th, 2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Morris (Post 849792)
I may need to experiment with it to find out if it is possible and what the best workflow is.

Please be sure to let us know how your experiment turns out! I know I'll be looking forward to hearing about it.

Brian Morris March 30th, 2008 12:52 PM

It actually turned out to be quite simple.

I first downconverted out of HV-20 and captured in Final Cut. Edited, added effects, CC and rendered out a final SD QT file.

Then I went back to the project in FC, right-clicked on the footage in the browser and selected "Make Offline". Then I changed the settings in the HV-20 to output HDV, changed the "Easy Setup" settings to capture HDV, and recaptured the footage as HDV. Finally I changed the Sequence Settings to HDV and used "Reconnect Media" to get the cuts back on the timeline. Render & Save. HD QT file.

It works!