Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 10th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

deinterlace for canon gl1 or gl2

Hello
I am working on videos from a canon GL1 and working on final cut 5.1.4
and I am exporting the movie for the web.Do I have to deinterlace, and if its yes at what setting?
thank you
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Major Player

It depends what you shot it in. Did you shoot in 24p or 24pA? If you shot in 24pA - I'd recommend de-interlacing if you are going to output to some sort of video source or expect others to - that being said - If it is for youtube or similar, this is extra work.

As far as digital is concerned, QuickTimes don't care about framerate - the problems arise when you try to play out on NTSC / PAL monitors.

Long story short - for web - don't worry about it.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Major Player

@ Christopher - There is no 24p mode of any sort of the GL1 or GL2 (there might be Canon's old Frame movie mode). Anyway with a movie that has 24pA it's not de-interlace, it's pulldown removal. (Completely different thing and best done in cinematools).

@ Martin - If you're uploading to the web, the footage needs to be progressive or de-interlaced, even for Youtube. What settings are available to you? I recommend downloading Too Much Too Soon plugins and using the smart de-interlace filter.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Martin, I have actually gotten very nice results by letting Compressor handle de-interlacing when outputting for Web (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FczftPs27NY for example)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite